Lie Derivative of Real-Valued Functions and Vectorfields on Manifolds

In summary: = \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{\phi_t(m)-f(m)}{t}\right) so this is just the usual derivative, so you have defined an operator by what it does on a function.
cliowa
Let [itex]M[/itex] be a diff. manifold, [itex]X[/itex] a complete vectorfield on [itex]M[/itex] generating the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms [itex]\phi_t[/itex]. If I now define the Lie Derivative of a real-valued function [itex]f[/itex] on [itex]M[/itex] by

[tex]\mathscr{L}_Xf=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{\phi_t^*f-f}{t}\right)=\frac{d}{dt}\phi_{t}^{*}f |_{t=0}[/tex]

(where [itex]...^{*}[/itex] denotes the pull-back by ...) that's mere notation, right? I.e. the limit is not a functional limit, right? This simply defines how I should evaluate the Lie Derivative, true?

Now, if I know that

(1) [tex]\phi_t^*\theta\cdot\phi_{-t*}Y\s=\s\phi_t^*(\theta\cdot Y)[/tex]

where [itex]Y[/itex] is another vectorfield on [itex]M[/itex], how could I prove that

(2) [tex](\mathscr{L}_X\Theta)\cdot Y + \Theta\cdot (\mathscr{L}_XY)=\mathscr{L}_X(\Theta\cdot Y)[/tex]?

(Here, the Lie Derivative is defined correspondingly.) If I take the time derivative at [itex]t=0[/itex] of both sides in (1), I can't apply the standard (i.e. banach space) product rule, because the constituents are not real functions! What can I do?

Thanks in advance. Best regards...Cliowa

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could approximate the flow as
[tex]
\phi_t \simeq 1 + t \phi
[/tex]
power expand in t, and prove it that way.

Or you could be even more of a physicist and write it out in components. ;)

Lie derivatives for vector fields and tensor fields are not so tricky as Lie derivatives for spinor fields. I would like to contact somebody who is expert in this area. Please, let me know if you are such a person.

Ruslan_Sharipov said:
Lie derivatives for vector fields and tensor fields are not so tricky as Lie derivatives for spinor fields. I would like to contact somebody who is expert in this area. Please, let me know if you are such a person.

Have you looked at chapter 7, Differentiation of Spinor Fields, from of the book Geometry, Spinors, and Applications by Donal J. Hurley and Michael A. Vandyck?

cliowa said:
Let [itex]M[/itex] be a diff. manifold, [itex]X[/itex] a complete vectorfield on [itex]M[/itex] generating the 1-parameter group of diffeomorphisms [itex]\phi_t[/itex]. If I now define the Lie Derivative of a real-valued function [itex]f[/itex] on [itex]M[/itex] by

[tex]\mathscr{L}_Xf=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{\phi_t^*f-f}{t}\right)=\frac{d}{dt}\phi_{t}^{*}f |_{t=0}[/tex]

(where [itex]...^{*}[/itex] denotes the pull-back by ...) that's mere notation, right? I.e. the limit is not a functional limit, right? This simply defines how I should evaluate the Lie Derivative, true?

you define the operator by what it do on a function f, so if we take a point m in the manifold

[tex]\mathscr{L}_Xf(m)=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{\phi_t^*f(m)-f(m)}{t}\right) [/tex]

defines a map g(t) from R to R, so this is just the usual derivative, so you have defined an operator by what it does on a function.

a bit like you could say that you can define a function on R by saying what it should do on a real number fx.

fx = x^2

or as we usually write

f(x) = x^2

so you see, this is what you usually does, but now it is not from R but some space of functions

you could write

L_X(f)

1. What is the Lie derivative of a real-valued function on a manifold?

The Lie derivative of a real-valued function on a manifold is a measure of how the function changes along the flow of a vector field on the manifold. It is denoted as $\mathcal{L}_X f$, where $X$ is the vector field and $f$ is the real-valued function.

2. How is the Lie derivative of a real-valued function calculated?

The Lie derivative of a real-valued function is calculated using the Lie bracket, which is defined as the commutator of two vector fields. It is given by the formula $\mathcal{L}_X f = X(f) - fX$, where $X$ is the vector field and $f$ is the real-valued function.

3. What is the relationship between the Lie derivative and the directional derivative?

The Lie derivative can be thought of as a generalization of the directional derivative to manifolds. While the directional derivative measures the change of a function along a specific direction, the Lie derivative measures the change of a function along the flow of a vector field.

4. Can the Lie derivative of a real-valued function be extended to more general functions?

Yes, the concept of Lie derivative can be extended to tensor fields on manifolds, not just real-valued functions. The Lie derivative of a tensor field is defined in a similar way, using the Lie bracket of vector fields.

5. What is the significance of the Lie derivative in differential geometry and physics?

The Lie derivative is an important tool in differential geometry, as it allows us to study the behavior of geometric objects on manifolds under the action of vector fields. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of physical theories, such as general relativity, where it is used to define the notion of parallel transport along curves on a manifold.