Can Principal Bundles Help with Lie Group Decomposition?

In summary, there is a debate about whether all Lie groups can be written as the semidirect product of a connected Lie group and a discrete Lie group. However, this has been proven to be difficult and a new approach using principal bundles has been suggested. It has been proven that a principal G_e-bundle exists, but it is unclear how this will help in solving the original problem.
Pond Dragon
Long time reader, first time poster.

Originally, it was my contention that all Lie groups could be written as the semidirect product of a connected Lie group and a discrete Lie group. However, I no longer believe this is true.

The next best thing I could think of was to say that a Lie group is diffeomorphic to the (smooth) product manifold of a connected Lie group and a discrete one. This is proving to be difficult!

I'm a bit new to using general fiber bundles (I've only ever used vector bundles before!), but a friend of mine recommended me to use principal bundles. I've proven that ##\pi:G\to G/G_\mathrm{e}##, where ##G_\mathrm{e}## is the identity component of a Lie group ##G##, is a principal ##G_\mathrm{e}##-bundle. However, I really don't know what use this is to me.

Could someone explain how this is a step in the right direction?

Edit: Is there a particular way to get the LaTeX to render? It isn't working...
Edit2: In another post, display math works. What about inline...?
Edit3: Crisis averted.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, I am an idiot.

To those who might come looking for this thread later: principal bundles are nice, but it is easier to simply note that the connected components of a Lie group are diffeomorphic. :redface:

1. What is a Lie Group Decomposition?

A Lie Group Decomposition is a mathematical technique used to break down a Lie group, which is a type of mathematical group that is smooth and continuous, into smaller, simpler components. It involves finding a set of subgroups, or smaller groups, that together form the original Lie group.

2. Why is Lie Group Decomposition important in mathematics?

Lie Group Decomposition is important in mathematics because it allows for the study and analysis of complex structures, such as Lie groups, by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable components. This can lead to a better understanding of the group's properties and behavior.

3. What are some applications of Lie Group Decomposition?

Lie Group Decomposition has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of differential equations, symmetry groups, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in robotics, control theory, and computer vision.

4. What is the difference between Lie Group Decomposition and Lie Algebra?

Lie Group Decomposition and Lie Algebra are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Lie Algebra is the algebraic structure underlying a Lie group, while Lie Group Decomposition is a method for breaking down a Lie group into smaller subgroups. In other words, Lie Algebra is a mathematical object, while Lie Group Decomposition is a technique for analyzing and understanding that object.

5. Are there any limitations to Lie Group Decomposition?

While Lie Group Decomposition is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be applied to certain types of mathematical groups, specifically Lie groups. Additionally, the decomposition process may not always result in an exact solution, and some groups may be difficult to decompose. Furthermore, the decomposition may not always provide a complete understanding of the group's behavior, and further analysis may be necessary.