Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie groups actions and curvilinear coordinates question

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    let's suppose I have the following system of curvilinear coordinates in ℝ2: [tex]x(u,v) = u[/tex] [tex]y(u,v) = v + e^u[/tex] where one arbitrary coordinate line [itex]C_\lambda(u)=u \mathbf{e_1} + (\lambda+e^u) \mathbf{e_2}[/itex] represents the orbit of some point in ℝ2 under the action of a Lie group.

Now I consider another Lie group that produces the same orbits, but rotated by 90°, that is: [tex]K_s(t)=(e^{-t}+s) \mathbf{e_1} + t \mathbf{e_2}[/tex].

My questions are:

1) How can I find a system of curvilinear coordinates x(u,t), y(u,t) such that when keeping t fixed I would obtain the orbits C(u), and when keeping u fixed I would obtain the orbits K(t) ?

2) What are the conditions that these two Lie groups should satisfy in order for this to be possible? For example, had our orbits been paraboloids of the kind [itex]C(u)=u \mathbf{e_1} + (u^2+\lambda) \mathbf{e_2}[/itex], then no such coordinate system can exist because the other Lie group that produces the parabolae rotated by 90° will give orbits that intersects at two points with the orbits C(u) of the first Lie group

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted