Lie groups actions and curvilinear coordinates question

In summary, the method of tensor calculus can be used to find a system of curvilinear coordinates that satisfies the given conditions of the two Lie groups having the same action on the orbits. The conditions for this to be possible include the two Lie groups having the same generators or Lie algebra. If they do not have the same generators, then it is not possible to find a single coordinate system that describes both sets of orbits.
mnb96
Hello,
let's suppose I have the following system of curvilinear coordinates in ℝ2: [tex]x(u,v) = u[/tex] [tex]y(u,v) = v + e^u[/tex] where one arbitrary coordinate line [itex]C_\lambda(u)=u \mathbf{e_1} + (\lambda+e^u) \mathbf{e_2}[/itex] represents the orbit of some point in ℝ2 under the action of a Lie group.

Now I consider another Lie group that produces the same orbits, but rotated by 90°, that is: [tex]K_s(t)=(e^{-t}+s) \mathbf{e_1} + t \mathbf{e_2}[/tex].

My questions are:

1) How can I find a system of curvilinear coordinates x(u,t), y(u,t) such that when keeping t fixed I would obtain the orbits C(u), and when keeping u fixed I would obtain the orbits K(t) ?

2) What are the conditions that these two Lie groups should satisfy in order for this to be possible? For example, had our orbits been paraboloids of the kind [itex]C(u)=u \mathbf{e_1} + (u^2+\lambda) \mathbf{e_2}[/itex], then no such coordinate system can exist because the other Lie group that produces the parabolae rotated by 90° will give orbits that intersects at two points with the orbits C(u) of the first Lie group

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would suggest using the method of tensor calculus to find the desired system of curvilinear coordinates. This involves finding the transformation matrix that relates the original coordinates (u,v) to the new coordinates (u,t) and (v,t). This transformation matrix can be found by solving a system of equations using the given expressions for x(u,v) and y(u,v).

As for the conditions that the two Lie groups should satisfy, they should have the same action on the orbits C(u) and K(t). This means that the transformation matrix should be the same for both groups. In other words, the two Lie groups should have the same generators, or equivalently, the same Lie algebra.

If the two Lie groups do not have the same generators, then it is not possible to find a system of curvilinear coordinates that satisfies the given conditions. In this case, the orbits C(u) and K(t) will not intersect at two points, but rather at different points, making it impossible to find a single coordinate system that describes both sets of orbits.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are Lie groups actions and curvilinear coordinates?

Lie groups actions refer to the actions of a group on a manifold, while curvilinear coordinates are a coordinate system that uses a set of non-linear coordinates to describe a point in a manifold. In this context, we are interested in understanding how Lie group actions can be used to transform curvilinear coordinates on a manifold.

2. Why are Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates important in mathematics?

Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates are important in mathematics because they provide a powerful framework for studying the symmetries and transformations of manifolds. This can be applied to various areas such as differential geometry, physics, and engineering.

3. How are Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates related?

Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates are related in the sense that Lie groups can be used to transform curvilinear coordinates on a manifold. This allows us to study the behavior of geometric objects under these transformations and understand the underlying symmetries.

4. What are some examples of Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates?

Some examples of Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates include the rotation of a sphere using the group SO(3) and the transformation of coordinates on a curved surface using the group Diff(M). These concepts are also used in the study of special relativity and general relativity, where Lorentz transformations and diffeomorphisms are relevant, respectively.

5. How are Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates used in real-world applications?

Lie group actions and curvilinear coordinates have numerous applications in real-world settings. For example, they are used in robotics to model the motion of robots and in computer graphics to animate objects. They are also relevant in physics, where they are used to study the behavior of particles in curved space-time. Additionally, they have applications in data analysis, where they can be used to identify patterns and symmetries in large datasets.