Exploring Lie Groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$

In summary, \mathbb{R}^3 has an associative multiplication \mu:\mathbb{R}^3\times \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3 given by \mu((x,y,z),(x',y',z'))=(x+x', y+y', z+z'+xy'-yx'). To form a Lie group, an identity element e=(0,0,0) and the inverse element (-x,-y,-z) can be chosen. The Lie algebra of this Lie group is R^3 as a vector space with basis \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} i=1,2,3. To calculate the commutators and
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
[itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] has an associative multiplication [itex] \mu:\mathbb{R}^3\times \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] given by [tex] \mu((x,y,z),(x',y',z'))=(x+x', y+y', z+z'+xy'-yx')[/tex]

Determine an identity and inverse so that this forms a Lie group.

Well, clearly e=(0,0,0) and the inverse element is (-x,-y,-z)

Pick a basis for the Lie algebra of this Lie group and calculate their commutators, obtaining the structure constants of the Lie algebra.

This is the part I'm having trouble with. I'm not really sure where to start! Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the lie algebra is R^3, as a vector space. What is the definition of the commutator?

The commutator of two vector fields u,v in R^3 is [u,v]=u(v)-v(u). If the Lie algebra is R^3 as a vector space, then can we not pick the basis [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/tex] i=1,2,3?

I guess not, since then the commutators will be all be zero.

Why are the commutators zero?

Well, [tex] \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right]=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

Is that not right?

No. If that were right, then surely the commutator of any two elements in any lie algebra would be zero.

I said the algebra was R^3 as a vector space. I didn't say it was isomoprhic to R^3 with the trivial relations as an algebra.

Ok, so the algebra is R^3 as a vector space, with basis [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/tex] i=1,2,3.

I'm really not sure about how to calculate these commutators though. I don't see how the commutator above isn't zero.

Sorry, I'm probably missing something basic here. Thanks for your patience!

I didn't say it was or wasn't zero. I just think you should look in your notes to see how to work out the bracket.

Every (real) lie algebra is isomorphic to R^n for some n. So picking a basis we can always choose d/dx^i. But this can't just mean that the commutator is zero. The commutator depends on the Lie structure.

Find an example in your notes where they work out the commutators.

matt grime said:
I didn't say it was or wasn't zero. I just think you should look in your notes to see how to work out the bracket.

Ok, well if we had two general vector fields, say, [tex]v=v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}, w=w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/tex], then the commutator would be [tex][v,w]=v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\left(w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}\right)-w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}\left(v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\right)=\left(v^i\frac{\partial w^j}{\partial x^i}-w^i\frac{\partial v^j}{\partial x^i}\right) \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/tex] since I was taught that d/dx^i differentiating d/dx^j is zero.

Every (real) lie algebra is isomorphic to R^n for some n. So picking a basis we can always choose d/dx^i. But this can't just mean that the commutator is zero. The commutator depends on the Lie structure.

Does this have something to do with the mapping mu?

Find an example in your notes where they work out the commutators.

There's only one example in my notes, and it's different to the one here. He calculates an effective action first, then calculates "velocity vector fields of one-parameter families of transformations." From here he manages to find a basis for the LIe Algebra.

Try to adapt the proof to this case.

cristo said:
Ok, well if we had two general vector fields, say, [tex]v=v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}, w=w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/tex], then the commutator would be [tex][v,w]=v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\left(w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}\right)-w^j\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}\left(v^i\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\right)=\left(v^i\frac{\partial w^j}{\partial x^i}-w^i\frac{\partial v^j}{\partial x^i}\right) \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/tex] since I was taught that d/dx^i differentiating d/dx^j is zero.
You were taught what?
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}= \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^i \partial x^j}[/tex]
Of course, that's not a derivative, it's a second derivative which is why we use the commutator as the product for a Lie Algebra.

If [itex]\alpha= w(x,y)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ v(x,y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\beta= p(x,y)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+ q(x,y)\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] then [itex]\alpha\beta[/itex] will involve second derivatives, not just first derivatives. [itex]\beta\alpha[/itex] will also but since mixed second derivatives are equal, [itex][\alpha,\beta]= \alpha\beta- \beta\alpha[/itex] will involve only first deriatives.

Does this have something to do with the mapping mu?

There's only one example in my notes, and it's different to the one here. He calculates an effective action first, then calculates "velocity vector fields of one-parameter families of transformations." From here he manages to find a basis for the LIe Algebra.

The lie algebra is the space of "left invariant vector fields". The left invariance is intimately related to the product \mu.

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/LieGroup.html

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You were taught what?
Sorry, what I said wasn't true. I remember my lecturer saying that [d/dx,d/xy]=0; not that the d/dx operating on d/dy was zero. He didn't really explain why, this is true, but of course one can still think of d/dx as partial derivative operators (as well as basis vectors) and so these obviously commute.

Thanks for pointing that out!

matt grime said:
Try to adapt the proof to this case.

Well, here's the problem in the lecture notes. G=R x (R\{0}); [itex]\mu[/itex]((x,y),(x',y'))=(x+yx',yy'). He finds the following effective action: [itex]\lambda[/itex]((x,y),p)=x+yp.

However, I can't seem to find an action for my mapping \mu above; it's not obvious like in his example!

1. What are Lie groups?

A Lie group is a type of mathematical group that can be described by both algebraic and differential equations. They are used to study continuous symmetries in mathematics and physics.

2. How are Lie groups related to $\mathbb{R}^3$?

Lie groups can be embedded in $\mathbb{R}^3$, which means they can be represented as subsets of $\mathbb{R}^3$. This allows us to visualize and study Lie groups in a geometric way.

3. What are some applications of Lie groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$?

Lie groups are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as differential geometry, topology, and quantum mechanics. In $\mathbb{R}^3$, they have applications in computer graphics, robotics, and mechanics.

4. What are some important properties of Lie groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$?

Some important properties of Lie groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$ include their smoothness, differentiability, and the existence of a group operation. They also have a notion of dimension, which is related to the number of parameters needed to describe the group.

5. How can we explore Lie groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$?

There are various ways to explore Lie groups in $\mathbb{R}^3$, such as visualizing them using 3D software, studying their algebraic and geometric properties, and using them to solve problems in mathematics and physics. It is also helpful to understand the concept of Lie algebras, which are related to Lie groups and can provide a more manageable way to study them.