1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie Groups

1. Jun 29, 2007 #1
    Let G be a 3-dimensional simply-connected Lie group. Then, G is either

1.)The unit quaternions(diffeomorphic as a manifold to S[tex]$^{3}$[/tex]) with quaternionic multiplication as the group operation.
    2.)The universal cover of PSL[tex]$\left( 2,\Bbb{R}\right) $[/tex]
    3.)The semi-direct product of [tex]$\Bbb{R}^{2}\times _{\phi }\Bbb{R}$[/tex].

The last case is an infinite family. There are many possible functions [tex]$\phi $[/tex]. My question is regarding these functions [tex]$\phi $[/tex].

The semi-direct product [tex]$\Bbb{R}^{2}\times _{\phi }\Bbb{R}$[/tex] can be written as a group operation on [tex]$\Bbb{R}^{3}$[/tex] as

[tex]$\left( x_{1},y_{1},z_{1}\right) \ast \left( x_{2},y_{2},z_{2}\right) =\left( x_{1}+\alpha \left( z_{1}\right) x_{2}+\beta \left( z_{1}\right) y_{2},y_{1}+\gamma \left( z_{1}\right) x_{2}+\delta \left( z_{1}\right) y_{2},z_{1}+z_{2}\right) $[/tex],
    where [tex]$\alpha \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , [tex]$\beta \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , [tex]$\gamma \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , and [tex]$\delta \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] are real-valued functions.

I would like to know what these real-valued functions are in terms of the constants occuring in the Lie-brackets. The Lie algebra at the identity of this infinite family of Lie groups(the semi-direct products) is isomorphic to a Lie algebra of the following form.
    [tex]$\left[ X_{1},X_{2}\right] =\lambda X_{2}+\sigma X_{3}$.[/tex]
    [tex]$\left[ X_{1},X_{3}\right] =\theta X_{2}+\lambda X_{3}$.[/tex]
    [tex]$\left[ X_{2},X_{3}\right] =0$.[/tex]

[tex]$\lambda $[/tex], [tex]$\theta $[/tex], and [tex]$\sigma $[/tex] are constants.

That is, I want to know the parameter dependent functions [tex]$\alpha \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , [tex]$\beta \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , [tex]$\gamma \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex] , and [tex]$\delta \left( z_{1}\right) $[/tex].

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2007 #2
    It appears someone fixed the LaTeX issue... Thanks...

By the way, the functions alpha, beta, gamma, and delta comprise the automorphism phi. phi is a map from R to the automorphisms of R^2. For some values of lambda, theta, and sigma; I know these functions explicitly. If anyone believes that information would be useful to solve this problem, I could post it. However, I cannot seem to determine these functions explicity in the general case given arbitrary values of the constants lambda, theta, and sigma.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  4. Jun 29, 2007 #3
    Oh... it occurred to me that it may be possible to do this using infinitesimal generators... which basically means exponentiating a matrix... I'll post again after working it out...

5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    I solved the problem. The functions can be found explicitly... it is fairly straightforward, but the calculation is a bit tedious. The functions involve hyperbolic sines and hyperbolic cosines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?