Analyzing the Linear Group P in $R^4$

In summary, the Linear Group P in $R^4$ is a mathematical structure represented by matrices, consisting of all possible ways to transform four-dimensional vectors using linear operations. It has various applications and can be extended to higher dimensions, with the analysis of its elements being done through techniques such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, computing determinants, and performing row reduction.
latentcorpse
Consider R^4 with nondegenerate inner product [itex] \left( x,y \right)= x^T \eta y[/itex] where [itex]\eta=\left( \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]
Let [itex]e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4[/itex] be the basis of R^4 with [itex](e_i,e_i)=\begin{cases} 1 \quad i=1,2,3 \\ -1 \quad i=4 \end{cases}[/itex]
Let [itex]P \subset Aff(\mathbb{R}^4)[/itex] be the subset of the affine group that preserves [itex]\delta(x,y)=(x-y)^T \eta (x-y)[/itex]

we have to show that P is a linear group and determine its lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{p}[/itex] as a Lie subalgebra of [itex]gl(5,\mathbb{R})[/itex] and then find the dimension of [itex]\mathfrak{p}[/itex].

to show its a linear group:

i guess i need to establish that its a subset of invertible matrices (these will be 2x2 as then it would be isomorphic to R^4 i think) but i don't really know how to show this explicitly
then given A in P
[itex]\delta(Ax,Ay)=(Ax-Ay)^T \eta (Ax-Ay) = (x-y)^T A^T \eta A (x-y) = delta(x,y)[/itex] iff [itex]A^T \eta A = \eta[/itex]. (this is what elements of P must satisfy)

then given a particular A in P, consider A^{-1}

[itex]\delta(A^{-1}x-A^{-1}y)^T \eta (A^{-1}x-A^{-1}y)=(x-y)^T(A^{-1})^T \eta A^{-1} (x-y)[/itex]
but [itex](A^{-1})^T \eta A^{-1}=(A^T)^{-1} \eta A^{-1} = A^{T}^{-1} \eta^{-1} A^{-1}=A^T \eta A = \eta [/itex]where we used the property [itex]\eta^{-1}=\eta[/itex]
this means that [itex]A^{-1} \in P[/itex]
similarly if A,B are in P

[itex] \delta( ABx,ABy ) = (x-y)^T B^T A^T \eta AB (x-y) = (x-y)^T B^T \eta B (x-y) = (x-y)^T \eta (x-y) \Rightarrow AB \in P[/itex]
therefore P is a linear group. is this correct?

then for the next bit i said let [itex]A= exp ( \tau X) \in P[/itex]
we know [itex]A^T \eta A = \eta[/itex]
therefore [itex] exp ( \tau X^T ) \eta exp( \tau X ) = \eta[/itex]

differentiating wrt tau and evaluating at tau=0 we get
[itex]X=- \eta^{-1} X^T \eta[/itex]
which implies
[itex]\mathfrak{p} := \{ X \in Mat ( 2 , \mathbb{R} ) | X=-\eta^{-1} X^T \eta \}[/itex]
is this right? i guess this is determining p but how do i determine it as a lie subalgebra of gl(5,R) - i don't even know what that means tbh!
and what about the dimension?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You are on the right track with your proof that P is a linear group. You correctly showed that P is closed under matrix multiplication and inverses, which are the two properties that need to be satisfied for a set to be a group.

To determine the Lie algebra \mathfrak{p} as a subalgebra of gl(5,\mathbb{R}), we need to find the set of matrices that satisfy the condition X=-\eta^{-1} X^T \eta and show that it is a subalgebra of the Lie algebra gl(5,\mathbb{R}). This means that the set must be closed under the Lie bracket operation, which is defined as [X,Y]=XY-YX.

To show that \mathfrak{p} is a subalgebra, we need to show that for any two matrices X,Y \in \mathfrak{p}, their Lie bracket [X,Y] is also in \mathfrak{p}. You can do this by computing [X,Y] and showing that it satisfies the condition X=-\eta^{-1} X^T \eta.

To determine the dimension of \mathfrak{p}, you can count the number of linearly independent matrices that satisfy the condition X=-\eta^{-1} X^T \eta. This will give you the dimension of \mathfrak{p} as a subspace of gl(5,\mathbb{R}).

I hope this helps. Good luck with your further investigations!

1. What is the Linear Group P in $R^4$?

The Linear Group P in $R^4$ is a mathematical structure that consists of all invertible linear transformations from $R^4$ to itself. In other words, it is composed of all possible ways to transform a four-dimensional vector in $R^4$ into another four-dimensional vector using linear operations.

2. How is the Linear Group P in $R^4$ represented?

The Linear Group P in $R^4$ is typically represented using matrices. Each matrix in this group represents a specific linear transformation. The group also has a special matrix called the identity matrix, which acts as the identity element and preserves the vector it operates on.

3. What is the significance of the Linear Group P in $R^4$?

The Linear Group P in $R^4$ has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of four-dimensional vectors, which are often used to represent physical phenomena or complex data.

4. How does one analyze the elements of the Linear Group P in $R^4$?

The elements of the Linear Group P in $R^4$ can be analyzed using various techniques, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, computing determinants, and performing row reduction. These methods can provide insights into the properties and behavior of the elements within the group.

5. Can the Linear Group P in $R^4$ be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Linear Group P can be extended to any number of dimensions. In general, the Linear Group P in $R^n$ is made up of all invertible linear transformations from $R^n$ to itself. However, the techniques used to analyze the group may become more complex as the dimension increases.