1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie Groups

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Consider R^4 with nondegenerate inner product [itex] \left( x,y \right)= x^T \eta y[/itex] where [itex]\eta=\left( \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]
    Let [itex]e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4[/itex] be the basis of R^4 with [itex](e_i,e_i)=\begin{cases} 1 \quad i=1,2,3 \\ -1 \quad i=4 \end{cases}[/itex]
    Let [itex]P \subset Aff(\mathbb{R}^4)[/itex] be the subset of the affine group that preserves [itex]\delta(x,y)=(x-y)^T \eta (x-y)[/itex]

we have to show that P is a linear group and determine its lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{p}[/itex] as a Lie subalgebra of [itex]gl(5,\mathbb{R})[/itex] and then find the dimension of [itex]\mathfrak{p}[/itex].

to show its a linear group:

i guess i need to establish that its a subset of invertible matrices (these will be 2x2 as then it would be isomorphic to R^4 i think) but i dont really know how to show this explicitly
    then given A in P
    [itex]\delta(Ax,Ay)=(Ax-Ay)^T \eta (Ax-Ay) = (x-y)^T A^T \eta A (x-y) = delta(x,y)[/itex] iff [itex]A^T \eta A = \eta[/itex]. (this is what elements of P must satisfy)

then given a particular A in P, consider A^{-1}

[itex]\delta(A^{-1}x-A^{-1}y)^T \eta (A^{-1}x-A^{-1}y)=(x-y)^T(A^{-1})^T \eta A^{-1} (x-y)[/itex]
    but [itex](A^{-1})^T \eta A^{-1}=(A^T)^{-1} \eta A^{-1} = A^{T}^{-1} \eta^{-1} A^{-1}=A^T \eta A = \eta [/itex]where we used the property [itex]\eta^{-1}=\eta[/itex]
    this means that [itex]A^{-1} \in P[/itex]
    similarly if A,B are in P

[itex] \delta( ABx,ABy ) = (x-y)^T B^T A^T \eta AB (x-y) = (x-y)^T B^T \eta B (x-y) = (x-y)^T \eta (x-y) \Rightarrow AB \in P[/itex]
    therefore P is a linear group. is this correct?

then for the next bit i said let [itex]A= exp ( \tau X) \in P[/itex]
    we know [itex]A^T \eta A = \eta[/itex]
    therefore [itex] exp ( \tau X^T ) \eta exp( \tau X ) = \eta[/itex]

differentiating wrt tau and evaluating at tau=0 we get
    [itex]X=- \eta^{-1} X^T \eta[/itex]
    which implies
    [itex]\mathfrak{p} := \{ X \in Mat ( 2 , \mathbb{R} ) | X=-\eta^{-1} X^T \eta \}[/itex]
    is this right? i guess this is determining p but how do i determine it as a lie subalgebra of gl(5,R) - i dont even know what that means tbh!
    and what about the dimension?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted