Is Self-Deception More Common Than We Think?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary: Even if we don't always live up to it, at least we are trying. Honesty is something that is worth fighting for.
Loren Booda
My girlfriend sometimes kids me that I am a "chameleon." I fool myself often, unconsciously, no doubt hundreds of times a day. Lies to myself arise from reasonable convenience and avoiding emotional pain, although I consider myself a very honest person. Life seems an alternation within a duality of truth and falsehood - I consider both. Being absolutely truthful would lead to an early death, I fear. At the end of the day, at least I have endeavored for truth toward others.

Do you find that prevarication is actually so prevalent, or that verity is worth the pain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Worth the pain to some degree, but it just makes people angry unfortunately. Sometimes I think advice or suggestions just aren't worth giving under any circumstances. If you give advice, the person thinks you are snobbish and also doesn't want to be proved wrong, so avoids you thereafter or shuts you down if you attempt to do it in the future. Good intentions don't buy you anything.

There is no possible way to solve problems you don't acknowledge. I think lying to yourself is even worse than lying to others.

I think there's even a line in the bhagavad gita or some such that runs, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Perhaps the greatest lie involves basking in the reflection of "honesty."

To quote Feynmen:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool."

twisting_edge said:
There is no possible way to solve problems you don't acknowledge. I think lying to yourself is even worse than lying to others.

I think there's even a line in the bhagavad gita or some such that runs, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Agree 100%!

I've heard of the quote to, but also forgot where it came from.

I make really good friends with those who openly examine their lives without feeling insulted and offended. I've only met a handful of people with this attitude unfortunately, but at the same time I'm grateful to have found them, or myself really. :biggrin:

twisting_edge said:
Plato attributes the saying to Socrates in "The Apology". In my opinion, Socrates did not say it, but rather Plato did. Here is a copy of the Bhagavad Gita. I could not find the quote there, but perhaps I missed it.

http://www.san.beck.org/Gita.html

The capacity to delude ourselves and the lengths to which we will do so is, in my opinion, one of the most dangerous attributes of mankind. It can be difficult and even painful to stay honest with ourselves, but in the end, all we have is our integrity.

1. What is the definition of "lies to ourselves"?

"Lies to ourselves" refers to the act of deceiving oneself or believing in false ideas or beliefs, often to protect one's ego or sense of self.

2. Why do people engage in lying to themselves?

People may engage in lying to themselves as a coping mechanism to avoid facing uncomfortable truths or to maintain a positive self-image. It can also be a result of cognitive biases and defense mechanisms.

3. How does lying to ourselves affect our behavior and decision making?

Lying to ourselves can lead to distorted thinking and decision making, as we are making choices based on false information or beliefs. It can also lead to self-sabotage or hindering personal growth.

4. Is it possible to stop lying to ourselves?

Yes, it is possible to stop lying to ourselves by being aware of our thoughts and beliefs, practicing self-reflection and challenging our assumptions, and being open to feedback and new perspectives.

5. What are the potential consequences of continued self-deception?

Continued self-deception can lead to strained relationships, missed opportunities, and a lack of personal growth and fulfillment. It can also have negative impacts on mental health, as it can contribute to feelings of guilt, shame, and low self-esteem.