1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life after uni

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    I have just finished my first year of studying for a physics degree at university, and have started thinking about what possible careers will be open to me when i have graduated. Anyone have any ideas as to the best jobs that are out there for physics grads? Or any jobs to avoid? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2
    most people continue in the university, and complete a master degree before looking for a job, atleast around here...

some of my friends went to work for applied matterials and intel, though i don't know if they like it there, they haven't really started to work yet...

4. Jul 26, 2006 #3
    My uncle pursued his masters, and works with the FBI. They hire physics folks all the time.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4
    There are loads of jobs for qualified physics grads, meterology (weather forecasting), weapons / aerospace design, particle Physics careers (CERN, SLAC etc..), financial services, accouting, actuary, teaching etc....

Lots of physics grad I know have kept in academia (which in the UK is supprising as they pay us peanuts), it depends on how much you love your physics. Also your suitability to finance (loads of money) will depend on your ability in statistics. If your excellent with your differential equations what kinda leads naturally to time series statstics, and in turn econometrics which is what the big banks are looking for.

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5
    There are loads of jobs for qualified physics grads, meterology (weather forecasting), weapons / aerospace design, particle Physics careers (CERN, SLAC etc..), financial services, accouting, actuary, teaching etc....

Lots of physics grad I know have kept in academia (which in the UK is supprising as they pay us peanuts), it depends on how much you love your physics. Also your suitability to finance (loads of money) will depend on your ability in statistics. If your excellent with your differential equations what kinda leads naturally to time series statstics, and in turn econometrics which is what the big banks are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?