What Makes Canada a Great Place to Live?

In summary, Canada is a great place to live with many opportunities. It has a liberal government, great healthcare, and a safe environment. The only downside is that it can be expensive to live there.
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if anything could cause a change of heart or not. For me, as nearly as I can tell, my country died last week.

Oh my GAWD! Do you have a Soundtrack? Some Violins and Violas maybe a sad Oboe playing in the background. I haven't see you this depressed since the time you couldn't get out of bed for a week because of the emotional anguish you felt over the fact that you had run out of hot water before you were able to "repeat"

Physics news on Phys.org
I have heard that American high school is a joke compared to what we do.

I went to B.C. school and American-style school. BC had no Advance Placement classes at my school - everyone were at the same level of English and Math.

The schools had less money, the teachers weren't that great.

They only have 4 classes (and a 1.5 hour lunch, compared to a US 30 minute). And a semester of classes like English and Math as opposed to a year.

B.C.'s schooling isn't good. Anyone that's been in school out of B.C. can admit that (the person from India is an example). We have people here saying that India's schooling is harder, and I can say the same for Quebec and US's system (at least the one I experienced).

Dagenais said:
I went to B.C. school and American-style school. BC had no Advance Placement classes at my school - everyone were at the same level of English and Math.

They only have 4 classes (and a 1.5 hour lunch, compared to a US 30 minute). And a semester of classes like English and Math as opposed to a year.

I don't know what high school you went to, but that doesn't sound like mine or any I know.

We don't need AP classes. They still do offer a couple though, like AP English and Calculus, but very few people take them.

And yes there is only four classes at a time. It's called the semester system. 4 classes, six hours per week, 24 hours of school per week. An hour for lunch. I don't see what the problem is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ek...China doesn't take care of Hong Kong since Hong Kong was so much better off then the rest of China, the government of China decided it was best to let Hong Kong govern themselves

Dagenais i protest your claim of Quebec having a good education system since all quebecers i saw that moved to Alberta droped down a grade, like someone who would be in secondaire 5 (how ever high that is) had to drop down a grade , they had some classes in the right grade but the rest were all a grade lower, and Ontario just changed their system of education to the same as Albertas, Alberta had that system a long time ago, i know cause i was the first grade to ever be implimented in that new system in ontario then i moved to Alberta, so if anything Hong Kong is taking Alberta's education system, i don't like Alberta but give credit where credit is due.

and if you can prove me wrong about the difference between quebec's system and Albertas system, feel free to do so

Oh, oh! I almost forgot another great thing about Canada! A huge surplus of flu shots! Hehe.

Just got this email from my school:

“This is a reminder that UWO Student Health Services is offering free
influenza vaccinations to registered UWO students (full-time & part-time, main campus and affiliate colleges)”

I’m still not going to get it tho… or maybe I should just ask to take mine home and sell it on ebay? :p

tribdog said:
Oh my GAWD! Do you have a Soundtrack? Some Violins and Violas maybe a sad Oboe playing in the background. I haven't see you this depressed since the time you couldn't get out of bed for a week because of the emotional anguish you felt over the fact that you had run out of hot water before you were able to "repeat"

Now I remember why I ignore you. Not everything is a joke.

Dagenais said:

B.C.'s schooling isn't good. Anyone that's been in school out of B.C. can admit that (the person from India is an example). We have people here saying that India's schooling is harder, and I can say the same for Quebec and US's system (at least the one I experienced).

In my high school its 4-8 classes per semester, 2 semesters a year, that makes 8 Academic courses or up to 16 non-academic courses a year (which are only 1 term long, 2 terms per semester), it's a 4 day block cycle and I think it's quite efficient. School starts at 9 and ends at 3 and lunch is 30-40 minutes (depends on if AG is on that day). Our Universities are also some of the best in the nation.

Sorry Dagenais but you can't base the whole education system on a single school and some people's opinions, BC is one of the most varied areas in the world (no really - look at some geological maps and you'll see) and our people reflect that.

And Ivan, if you tell people you moved here because you hate bush you'll be accepted emediatly :biggrin:
welcome to Canada!
We're not as xenophobic as America (but just as narcassistic!)

Last edited:
That's why we thought of Canada. Thanks Smurf, that's good to know. If I found that there is any chance that someone like Bush could get elected in Canada, then I would have serious reservations about any move there. In fact I still need to do some reading about the views there - to confirm or not what I believe to be true. Do you know what the numbers are as related to Bush's popularity there?

Tsu liked my comment on Canada: It has long been the land of the free for those oppressed in the land of the free.

If I found that there is any chance that someone like Bush could get elected in Canada, then I would have serious reservations about any move there.

I hope you realize that Canada has its own version of George Bush...or at least a, "Bush-like" politician. His name is Stephen Harper and he is quite popular in western Canada, especially Alberta.

Of course, Harper's chances of getting elected are very narrow, but he did beat the NDP and was a runner-up in the election against the Liberals. Therefore, you should be aware of him. I've linked to his party at the bottom of this post.

Dagenais i protest your claim of Quebec having a good education system since all quebecers i saw that moved to Alberta droped down a grade, like someone who would be in secondaire 5 (how ever high that is) had to drop down a grade , they had some classes in the right grade but the rest were all a grade lower

You would think that would happen as they probably speak french as opposed to english. Keep in mind that french is the 1st language of 80% of Quebecois. If you have trouble at english and you attend school in Alberta, it's only natural that they would be held-back. Throw someone from Alberta into Quebec (french school), and the same would likely happen. Unless you expect them to know french well enough to study history, math, science and...french. Also, how many students are you talking about? 2, 3? Details.

Quebec's school system is awesome. The fact that Montreal has the highest post-secondary education rate (per capita) in all of North America, simply helps in portraying this. You'll probably deny that this has nothing to do with basic education, but when more students than any other city in Montreal head to upper education, they must be doing something better than anyone else. Even cities such as Sherbrooke (2 universities, 3 colleges) and medium cities (for Canada) like Trois-Rivieres has a University and is bustling with young, educated people.

with more post-secondary students per capita than any other city in North America, Montreal is in no shortage of educated young people.

Québec’s education system is one of the most modern in the industrialized world, thanks to a network of quality schools.

French is the first language of over 80 percent of the population of Québec. The proportion of Quebeckers who say they know some French is even higher, at 90 percent. In addition to being the language of everyday life in most regions of Québe

and if you can prove me wrong about the difference between quebec's system and Albertas system, feel free to do so

What have you proven? That an unknown number of french students had to take a grade below the regular english class?

Ontario just changed their system of education to the same as Albertas, Alberta had that system a long time ago, i know cause i was the first grade to ever be implimented in that new system in ontario then i moved to Alberta

Ontario and Alberta school systems are different. It says right on McGill's website when applying by application type: Quebec CEGEP Applicants, Ontario High School Applicants, Applicants from Canadian High Schools other than Ontario. Now, if they were the same, why are they considered different by post-secondary institutes?

Sorry Dagenais but you can't base the whole education system on a single school and some people's opinions

At least I got the chance to attend a B.C. school, as opposed to I_Wish_I_Was_Smart, who's opinions are based on "x" number of students from Quebec that attended his school, which he neglected to mention whether they were from French or English school and which subjects they were held back in.

The difference is I've had a chance at Quebec english school, B.C. school and for a short amount of time, a good American-style school. I'm assuming you did too, but the way you're opinions are written, it seems you've had similar experience, oui?

Our Universities are also some of the best in the nation.

Where are you getting your facts from? Or is that just an opinion?

The Maclean's University rankings just came out. Ontario has the best schools in the nation. For Medical/Doctoral Universities, U of T was ranked #1, Western Ontario #2, Queen's #5. Guelph and Waterloo take the Comprehensive category at 1 and 2.

UBC is ranked 4th in the Med/Doc category, while McGill is ranked at 2nd, and Top 25 in the World. So I guess, Quebec wins - according to the facts.

I'll gladly continue this with you through PM as this thread is straying on its original topic.

Source

Source

http://www.meq.gouv.qc.ca/

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/toptencities/

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Dagenais said:
You would think that would happen as they probably speak french as opposed to english. Keep in mind that french is the 1st language of 80% of Quebecois. If you have trouble at english and you attend school in Alberta, it's only natural that they would be held-back.
That's not a valid excuse. The main cities in Alberta have schools where French is the main language. They're called "french immersion" schools. There's even a school a few miles south of my house where Cree is the main language. :wink:
Students who only speak French are still able to get high school diplomas in Alberta since the language requirement is either English 30/33 or Francais 30/33.

PS.
I voted for that Harper guy :biggrin:

Dagenais, Shawn D, Smurf, and any other Canadians who have an opinion, how do you feel about Harper as compared to Bush? How would you compare and contrast the two?

Also, I find the discussion of schools interesting.

Harper is just a conservative. Bush repeatedly says a dictatorship would be easier, and he seems to think he's doing God's work.

They're not really similar :biggrin:

If anyone cares to indulge me any more, I have reviewed your Constitution. How do you feel about it?

What is more important: Liberty or safety?

Asking for a Canadian's opinion of Bush wouldn't be wise.

You have to be here, and have to be aware, to know what this administration has done to undermine democracy here. A Canadian will not feel outrage from hearing about (if at all) having to sign a pledge of allegiance to attend a political event. A Canadian will not be able to give you feedback on the effects of having media giants control the airwaves. They won't feel the outrage you do, of running the country on trickle down economics. They probably would not be aware of the gross over-reaches of the Patriot Act, nor might they have heard of specific incidents of such abuse.

In other words, ask them for popular opinion on issues...but you are only fooling yourself if you ask for their opinion of Bush. We all know what that opinion is.

Hmmm. I can see your point.

Also, Canadians, please explain this:
The Queen reigns but does not rule.

Edit: I see how it applies in the Constitution but how do you feel about it?

Let me restate that: I have read how it applies to the Constitution but it is very confusing.

The Queen is a figure head.

She's on most of our money, "reigns" over Canada, but has zero power. Even her representative in Canada, the Governor General, basically has no power. Officially (s)he is allowed to deny acts/bills/laws etc, but they never do. The last GG to deny passage of a bill/act/law was during WW2, if my memory serves me correct. And then the Prime Minister had him fired or something.

So basically all the Governor General does is approve things in the name of the Queen. But he really has no choice whether to approve things or not, so basically the whole system is just ornamental. Everything's just convention, and it's not going to change.

Sometimes politicians bring up breaking ties with the Mother Country and Monarch, but it never has happened and it probably never will. Having a Monarch is something that separates us from Americans, and we like it that way.

Ivan Seeking said:
Let me restate that: I have read how it applies to the Constitution but it is very confusing.

I don't think we have a "Constitution" like the US, unless I am sorely mistaken.

I know there was the BNA Act, which was later renamed the Constitution Act, but I'm pretty sure the document you refer to is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

What does the Mother Country and Monarch mean to Canadians? What is the meaning of this; what creates this loyalty? Is this purely cultural or does this somehow define Canadian values?

ek said:
I don't think we have a "Constitution" like the US, unless I am sorely mistaken.

I know there was the BNA Act, which was later renamed the Constitution Act, but I'm pretty sure the document you refer to is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

It may be the way that I'm saying it. I do see references to the Constitutional Documents, and other similar language used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_constitution

http://www.uni.ca/what_is_const.html

Since 1982 the Charter has become the most often cited portion of the Constitution. The predecessor acts and orders that are listed below are generally not as well known. These acts have sometimes been denounced as "messy," "almost incoherent" or worse for their somewhat convoluted form and long, unconsolidated history. However, they remain the laws that determine the division of powers between federal and provincial jurisdictions, the terms upon which new provinces entered Canada and the division between executive, legislative and judicial areas of power in a manner very different from the United States.

This paragraph describes well why the Charter is the big thing.

-----

I can't really speak for all Canadians about the Queen, and I really do not know why we are "loyal"to Britain. In my case, I guess it's just because I was raised that way. It's just so intertwined with society, you just don't think twice about it. The Queen is on our money, her photo is in our schools and some homes, and many things are named after her or other monarchs. She's just "there". I'm sorry I don't have a good explanation, perhaps another Canadian can expound their thoughts a little more eloquently.

ek said:
. The Queen is on our money, her photo is in our schools and some homes, and many things are named after her or other monarchs..

Photographs of Queen in our homes? where did you see that?
Even when I lived under communism, nobody keept Lenin's or Stalin's pictures in their homes,and one could hardly see their pictures at school.
Looks to me like Canada is more brainwashed then I thought.

Ivan Seeking said:
If anyone cares to indulge me any more, I have reviewed your Constitution. How do you feel about it?

Most Canadians, including myself, don't even know what the constitution says. It's never explained in school.

ek said:
The last GG to deny passage of a bill/act/law was during WW2, if my memory serves me correct. And then the Prime Minister had him fired or something.
I think it resulted in a non-confidence vote and an election had to be called.

tumor said:
Yep.

Ivan Seeking said:

Safety is important, but Canadians don't have to worry about it as much, as they have few enemies, and crime rates are much lower than in the US.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is a beautiful document and I’m surprised it took until 1982 for it to be put into place.
In school, it is only vaguely mentioned in any of the required classes. It is however studied in high school law classes quite a bit. Basically, there are certain sections in the Charter that have precedence over anything else including established law. But these are intended to protect basic freedoms, similar to your constitution. It’s a great thing, you should read it sometime.

As for Harper Vs. Bush. Harper is just a conservative with some bad ideas. The Conservative Party of Canada is not nearly as far right as the current Republican state in America, but it’s conservative nonetheless. Anyway, Harper isn’t ideological like Bush. I’m sure if Harper ever gets elected it won’t be nearly as bad for Canada as Bush is for America in terms of international reputation and trying to get crazy laws passed. Still, Harper doesn’t come off as very likable, and he just isn’t a good campaigner. But government in Canada is much different than in the US so Harper still gets a say whether he’s PM of not. I think there’s much more bickering in the Canadian government, but it’s about issues and not character attacks. Plus, we don’t have a two party system like in the states. There are currently four political parties represented in Parliament and with a minority government like we have now, there’s really a lot of restriction on what the Prime Minister and party in power can do.

And to answer your question about how Canadians view Bush, I’d like to quote a letter to the editor that I read in my school paper today:

“To the Editor:
After donning a festive pro-Bush button – straight from glorious and Democratic NYC – I’ve been baffled by the reaction on campus. Stares, snide remarks and worst of all, personal insults have all contributed to the melange of mostly negative feedback.”

So yeah, that’s how it is. I think I read several polls that consistently showed that in Canada about 60% favoured Kerry, 30% Bush and the rest neither or Nader.

tumor said:
Photographs of Queen in our homes? where did you see that?
Even when I lived under communism, nobody keept Lenin's or Stalin's pictures in their homes,and one could hardly see their pictures at school.

Does it surprise you that no one kept pictures of tyrannical dictators like those two?

My old elementary school had about four framed photos of the Queen around the school. Above a doorway in the main hallway, in the Auditorium, outside the office and in another classroom.

Tips if planning to move to Toronto

- Don't read the Toronto Sun. The most bias flyer there is. You'll understand why its called a flyer once you SEE it, without READING it.

- Never say hockey sucks. You will get kicked out of Canada even if you are Canadian.

- Always watch more hockey than other sports or else people will get suspicious and you will get kicked out ...

- Always talk more about hockey than anything else or else people will get suspicious ...

- Always brag about Canada's hockey Gold medals or else people will get suspicious ...

- Never say the Toronto Maple Leafs suck or else you will wake up in Vancouver after x time.

- Start your day by saying "I love hockey." or else your girlfriend next to you in bed will get suspicious and you will get kicked out ...

- If the Toronto Maple Leafs win against the Ottawa Senators, be sure to talk about it for the next week or else people will get suspicious ...

- If the Toronto Maple Leafs lose against the Ottawa Senators, be sure to whine about if for the next week or else ...

- Never say A-MEN in church. It has been replaced by HOC-KEY.

- Never say you live in Toronto, when you are in Toronto because that is considered false in Toronto. Hockey City is the proper word to use for Toronto.

Last note ...

- If you haven't played hockey in your childhood, you will be required to start high school all over again because playing hockey during your childhood is mandatory to be part of Hockey City.

For those who like big words:

- If the word hasn't been used during a hockey game, it does not exist.

Welcome, to Toron... um... Hockey City!

Last edited:
JasonRox said:

And in related news, the Toronto Maple Losers are brutal!

:tongue2:

ek said:
And in related news, the Toronto Maple Losers are brutal!

:tongue2:

So... you don't live in Toronto, eh?

People seem to forget why people love the Toronto Maple Leafs up in the North. Ask a TRUE Leafs fan and they'll tell you.

Note: Most "Leaf" fans aren't Leaf fans. They seem to only jump out when they are winning or what not. Hate on them. :biggrin:

Heh, I was just going to say the same thing about Leaf fans. I guess Toronto's my favourite team cause they're the closest to my city geographicaly and because I happen to own a leafs jersey and towel. Anyway, I hope they actually win The Cup, but I have little faith in them. They always blow it in the end.

Hey, wait a minute, Detroit is Hockeytown. :frown:

(Oh, wait, Hockey City... I guess that's okay...)

check said:
So yeah, that’s how it is. I think I read several polls that consistently showed that in Canada about 60% favoured Kerry, 30% Bush and the rest neither or Nader.

Well, that's about 30% too much but Gokul's comments might explain this misguided group.

As of right now, I have always loved Canadian Hockey. :!)

Dagenais

the system is the same, i never said the courses were, in Alberta in high school there is no such thing i discrete math, but calculus in high school in Alberta is the same as calculus1 in university i know I'm living through it

and i did go to a fully french school, i think its the only fully french school in Alberta it's called école Maurice-Lavallée i know that's where i studied(not french immersion they are totaly different), that school is where all the quebecers and french folks from edmonton and surounding towns go to get a fully french education, and most quebecers were held back, they have to pass an equivilancy test and most fail, that's just the way it is, like i said i know cause I've lived through it
the only major difference is that Alberta has junior hiugh(7-9) and senior high(10-12), but all diciplines are separated in 2 categories like ontario, its just the notation for it in Alberta is 10 20 30(university level) 13 23 33 (college level) and ontario is Théorique(university level) and appliqué(college level)( sorry for the french terminology)

http://www.csrcn.ab.ca/mauricelavallee/accueil.htm

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Hey, wait a minute, Detroit is Hockeytown.

:devil:

*drops the gloves*

thats how it is Jason, its printed all over center ice, although i don't think its true at all