1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life in the Fast Lane

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Hello Everyone. I am almost through my on-line coarse on Introductory Physics. I am taking my last self-assessment before the on-line certification in two weeks. There is just one problem that has my confused. Please provide some guidance. Thanks.

Accelerating Car - What is the average power required to accelerate a 1200 kg car from rest to a velocity of 20 m/s in 10 seconds?

I am not even sure exactly where to start. I know that power can be measured in joules/sec a metric unit known as a watt. I do know some related formulas that might apply. They include:

Power = Change in Energy/Change in time
    F = ma
    W = Fd

I am still unclear how to proceed to determine that answer to this question in watts. :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have another:
  4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    How appropriate. If anyone can help me it is the master of falling (accelerating) bodies...Galileo. Anyway, I am still confused on why your formula is the one I should start with. Can you explain? If I do use this formula I get:

Now, is this watts? Also, is it important to consider the 10 second time in calculating the avergae power? If so then maybe the answer should be 240,000/10=24,000 watts. What do you think? I am on tract? Thanks.
  5. Nov 8, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me :approve:

The car is started at rest, so it had no kinetic energy.
    After 10 seconds it had 240,000 J of kinetic energy.

So it gained 24.000 J per second on average.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?