1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life is basically over

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    I did well on all previous tests but I did terrible on this one. I really wanted to major in computational finance, but now I'm stuck with a major I don't like. I don't know what to do. One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    Don't worry about it. Your undergraduate major doesn't determine your future. Look at Edward Witten. Majored in history, yet is a string theorist.
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  4. May 5, 2007 #3
    And let me tell ya, if Ed Witten can do it, then anybody can! ; )

"One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate."

You are correct. And it won't, as long as you don't let it!
  5. May 5, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Life is unfair, you say?

I've often heard this sentiment expressed by students, and I think it reflects unreasonable expectations about life. Let's replace "one test" with "one event":

Bad things happen, at times, to everyone. The true test of character, the pundits say, is how one responds to setbacks. Once you get over the disappointment, I expect you will be able to identify new opportunities. Its not impossible that twenty years from now you might say "one event determined the course of my life", but be referring to something you are glad happened to you.
  6. May 5, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's just one test, even if it killed your grade in the course (so just one course might be more apt), can't you retake the course? If the major is interesting enough to you, the only way one class or exam is going to get in your way is if you let it. Especially if you're doing well in everything else, one bad grade isn't going to destroy your career goals. And, since you know you struggled with it, plan ahead to get some tutoring, or to spend a lot of time at your professor's office hours if you retake it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?