Life is weird

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
You could say "Your partner seems like a very nice person. How did you meet?" If he wants to talk about his sexual orientation, and how his life-style changed, he'll do so. Complimenting a gay person about their partner is no different from complimenting a straight person on their choice of a mate. Just be honest and matter-of-fact about it.

baywax
Gold Member
How the heck could one start such a conversation, maybe now i know it is sort of world wide and not a peculiarity, it is better not to.
If you two are good friends you can basically talk about anything with him. The more up-front you are the more you'll be able to learn about his meteoric rise out of domesticity into the alleged stellar freedoms of sports cars and the wildlife! Its not weird in the least!

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My former boss came out of the closet after years of marriage and three kids. He only got married and had kids because it would have prevented him form having a career back when he was starting out. Once he was established, the "taboo" was lifted and was actually quite common to be gay at my company which was one of the largest in the US and globally. It was like one day all the men there came out of the closet. Every guy I worked with was gay. I was the odd one, being female and straight.
You could have suspected that, with all those guys in the closet, no ? :tongue:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How can one live a lie for so many years? do not get me wrong i will stand by my old mate whatever, but that does not mean i understand his transformation and feel comfortable about it.
Societal/peer pressure, the pressure to conform, to be successful, to meet expectations of family, . . . .

One might ask, why do people behave the way they do? The answer is as varied as there are people.

I'm sure that one is adjusting to a new reality, and certainly when change comes abruptly the adjustment takes time.

My best friend from high school, who I've known for over 35 years, finally told me he was gay about 15 years ago. I had started to wonder because he never married, and he is one of nicest people one could ever meet, but he never talked about dating woman. At the time, he was worried I might reject him. No way! He is like a brother to me, and we still keep in contact. We had many good times to together in the past, and it's nice to get together when our schedules permit and reminisce.

Like hypatia mentioned "I love my old friends because we share so many memories . . ." It's nice to have friends who really 'know' one.

Time is such a precious thing, and old friends pass to quickly.
Don't waste a second, and unfortunately old friends are starting to pass.