Calculating Tension Life of a Spring for Valve Application

In summary, our counterparts have designed a spring for a valve application. The entire component depends on the tension of the spring, and we need to calculate the tension life of a spring (i.e. the duration for which the tension in a spring remains a constant). Normally a spring would be used well within its 'elastic range', but if it is a control valve then there is a good chance that there is some type of variation in load - even if it's high frequency, low amplitude.
araanandv2
hi,

Our counterparts have designed a spring for a valve application.
the entire component depends on the tension of the spring
We need to calculate the tension life of a spring(i.e the duration for which the tension in a spring remains a constant)
Please provide me a solution

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know if there's specific studies on springs, but there are more likely to be creep tests for different materials under different fixed stresses. I would imagine the decay of the spring restoring force to be strongly correlated to the creep-related stress relaxation of the parent material.

Normally a spring would be used well within its 'elastic range', i.e. such that the peak local stress was well below is yield strength. Creep would only be an issue if it was in a heated environment with the operating temperature above about 0.35 of melting temp.

Fatigue may be the limiting case, and that depends on the fracture toughness and fatigue resistance of the material, as well as the largest allowable imperfection in the material.

See if you can find a Langer-O'Donnell curve (fatigue cycles to failure for a given stress level). Sometimes is called O'Donnell and Langer model (or curve). However, those are names in the nuclear industry.

Alternatively, look for S-N curve, or search google for "S-N","fatigue", e.g.
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Materials/Mechanical/S-NFatigue.htm

Oops. I misuderstood the OP (particularly the bit in parentheses) to mean the spring was under constant tension during its entire life (i.e., no cycling loads).

Gokul43201 said:
Oops. I misuderstood the OP (particularly the bit in parentheses) to mean the spring was under constant tension during its entire life (i.e., no cycling loads).
Well it's not really clear. The actual operation needs to be discussed in more detail. Depending on the valve, it might be under constant tension with very infrequent change. If it is a control valve, then there is a good chance that there is some type of variation in load - even if it's high frequency, low amplitude. I believe Richard Hertzberg (Lehigh Univ) has looked at this phenomenon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471012149/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I met him when during a presentation to our local ASM chapter. Nice guy.

http://www.lehigh.edu/~inmatsci/faculty/hertzberg/Hertzberg.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the tension life of a spring calculated?

The tension life of a spring is calculated by using the formula T = (8*F*N)/(pi*d^3) where T is the tension life, F is the force applied to the spring, N is the number of cycles, and d is the diameter of the spring wire. This formula takes into account the stress and strain on the spring to determine its predicted lifespan.

2. What factors affect the tension life of a spring?

There are several factors that can affect the tension life of a spring, including the type and quality of the material used, the design and manufacturing process, the environment in which the spring is used, the amount and type of force applied, and the frequency and amplitude of the cycles.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of my tension life calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of your tension life calculations, it is important to use high-quality materials and adhere to proper manufacturing techniques. It is also important to consider all relevant factors and gather accurate data for the force applied and number of cycles. Additionally, it is recommended to consult with an expert or conduct testing to verify the accuracy of your calculations.

4. Can the tension life of a spring be extended?

Yes, the tension life of a spring can be extended by using higher quality materials, optimizing the design and manufacturing process, and reducing the stress and strain on the spring. It is also possible to use multiple springs in parallel or series to distribute the load and extend the lifespan of each individual spring.

5. How can I determine the appropriate tension life for a spring in a valve application?

The appropriate tension life for a spring in a valve application will depend on several factors, including the intended use of the valve, the expected lifespan of the valve, and the safety and reliability requirements. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors and consult with experts to determine the appropriate tension life for your specific valve application.