Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life On Europa?

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    With the protection of the ice sheet(from Jupiter's gama rays), possibly geo-thermal vents on its ocean floor, does anybody think we will find life in the oceans of Europa?

If so, complex or simple?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2
    If the energy is low, which I suspect it is, then I suspect that complex life forms may not have had enough time to evolve. It might depend on what you consider complex though.

Cosmic radiation is considered harmful by us Earthlings, but I wonder if it could be a possible energy source on a place like Europa. I wonder if there could be other possible energy sources too.
  4. Mar 16, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I think simple life forms are always a possibility if a hospitable environment exists. I doubt that complex [mulitcellar] life forms have much of a chance. Of course this presupposes carbon based life forms, but, until evidence of non-carbon based life is discovered, I think it is a reasonable assumption.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?