Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life on mars?

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    Life on Mars? The question is not whether there is life on Mars, but whether life existed on Mars long ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The face on Mars is crackpottery. It does not belong here on PF.

P.S.Borek has received a warning for posting non-PG-rated material. :biggrin: But it's balanced out by him being 'first!' to post mockery.

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    can you explain what is crackpottery?

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Crackpots are people who get a pet idea into their head and then cannot let it go. They completely lose sight of the science in what they're doing (if they ever had any) and it becomes a religion. They actively deny and turn away from any possible evidence that might falsify their pet idea.

(I am not calling you a crackpot; I am simply pointing out that you are relying on false information from crackpots.)

The face on Mars is nothing more than a hyper-photoshopped illusion. The illusikn is dependent on viewing and angle and angle of shadow, and goes away if those are not must right. There is no actual shape on Mars that is shaped like a face.

The resemblance to a face in some of our images is a result of the resolving and sharpening techniques of our earlier attempts at mapping Mars' surface. With higher rez, sharper images, the illusion has been competely debunked.

Viking_moc_face_20m.gif
    I don't hear any of these guys screaming that the Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire
    old-man-mountain.jpg
    is a sign of alien life on Earth...

You sound like an intelligent person. Don't be fooled by these nutbars.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. Sep 21, 2010 #6
    ok i understand, just wondering about another thing? it looks like trees and small shrubs. what is it then? there are similar things on earth

8. Sep 21, 2010 #7

Borek

Had to say what looks like trees and small shrubs... But I would guess it is just rocks, there was nothing else but sand and rocks on all Mars pictures I have seen so far.

That is, if you exclude protesting Martians.

9. Sep 21, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What looks like trees and small shrubs?

10. Sep 21, 2010 #9
    I believe that there really may have been extra terrestrial life on Mars at one point in the past. There are several observations and samples that contain fossils of microbial life living on Mars at some point.

11. Sep 21, 2010 #10

Borek

You mean meteorite ALH 84001. It is interpreted by some as containing fossils, but there is no general agreement about it.

12. Sep 22, 2010 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what? I consider it highly likely mars spawned microbial life billions of years ago when it had a habitable environment [liquid water, atmosphere, etc.] as do many scientists.

13. Sep 22, 2010 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So you're agreeing with him...

14. Sep 22, 2010 #13
    That made me laugh. I think he meant to quote both posts though probably, saying 'so what?' to the:
    part.

I agree in thinking it probably existed, but as said ALH 84001 is in no way concrete evidence as of yet. I don't think he was saying he did or didn't believe they existed either, just pointing that fact out that ALH 84001 isn't usable evidence yet.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  15. Oct 4, 2010 #14
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/features/kids_find_cave.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  16. Oct 5, 2010 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Water and undersea vulcanism are the magical ingredients for abiogenesis. It appears both conditions were present on mars a billion or so years ago. It also appears probable in the case of venus, albeit the prospects of recovering fossil evidence from venus are dim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook