Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life span of HDD.

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have an external HDD with a lot of information stored in it, my question is what exactly the life span of an external HDD?

Thnaks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It depends.
    There is an interesting Google study about disk failures.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The practical answer is "the time to failuer is usually shorter than the time you wanted to keep the data for".

In other words, if you don't have a strategy for making backups, start one now!

FWIW, we once had a situation at work where we changed workstation suppliers, and installed a few hundred identical workstations at the same time. Aboot 3 years later (after running 24 hours a day 365 days a year), they started dropping like flies with disk failures. After about 10% failures within a few months, we decided to replace all the disks - it was less disruptive to do that in a planned manner than fixing them one at a time as they crashed.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4
    I have a 1995 pentium 200 on a Iwill ultra fast and wide scsi motherboard and the entire system still runs fine......even with two sound cards and a video capture system in it's slots.

I turn it off multiple times per day and have never left it on constantly.

The system drive is ide 1.6 gig and the other drives are scsi.

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5
    I have also many mathematical pdf files, and I have stored in a Sony External HDD but Recently I move these all to Skydrive. Skydrive and iCloud seems to be the best way to store your important data.

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6

harborsparrow

Gold Member

ANY hard drive can fail at any time--or could last for decades. If you have any information on a drive that you cannot afford to lose, be sure to copy it to another drive (and perhaps to a drive that you can store off-site as well).

8. Mar 21, 2013 #7

harborsparrow

Gold Member

In recent years, I have not had a single hard drive failure. And I work with a lot of computers. But over the last 30 years, I've had several drives fail.

9. Mar 22, 2013 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I just lost 750 GB drive this month. Not that I have lost any valuable data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook