Discover the Life Span of an External HDD | Expert Insights

In summary: But it's always frustrating to lose something that you can't get back.In summary, an external hard drive will typically have a shorter lifespan than you wanted it to.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have an external HDD with a lot of information stored in it, my question is what exactly the life span of an external HDD?

Thnaks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The practical answer is "the time to failuer is usually shorter than the time you wanted to keep the data for".

In other words, if you don't have a strategy for making backups, start one now!

FWIW, we once had a situation at work where we changed workstation suppliers, and installed a few hundred identical workstations at the same time. Aboot 3 years later (after running 24 hours a day 365 days a year), they started dropping like flies with disk failures. After about 10% failures within a few months, we decided to replace all the disks - it was less disruptive to do that in a planned manner than fixing them one at a time as they crashed.

I have a 1995 pentium 200 on a Iwill ultra fast and wide scsi motherboard and the entire system still runs fine...even with two sound cards and a video capture system in it's slots.

I turn it off multiple times per day and have never left it on constantly.

The system drive is ide 1.6 gig and the other drives are scsi.

I have also many mathematical pdf files, and I have stored in a Sony External HDD but Recently I move these all to Skydrive. Skydrive and iCloud seems to be the best way to store your important data.

ANY hard drive can fail at any time--or could last for decades. If you have any information on a drive that you cannot afford to lose, be sure to copy it to another drive (and perhaps to a drive that you can store off-site as well).

In recent years, I have not had a single hard drive failure. And I work with a lot of computers. But over the last 30 years, I've had several drives fail.

I just lost 750 GB drive this month. Not that I have lost any valuable data.

1. What is the typical lifespan of an external HDD?

The typical lifespan of an external HDD can vary depending on usage, but on average it can last anywhere from 3-5 years. However, with proper care and maintenance, it can last up to 10 years.

2. How can I extend the lifespan of an external HDD?

To extend the lifespan of an external HDD, it is important to handle it with care and avoid dropping or shaking it. It is also recommended to keep it in a cool and dry environment and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. Regularly backing up your data and updating the firmware can also help prolong its lifespan.

3. What are the signs that an external HDD is reaching the end of its lifespan?

Some signs that an external HDD is reaching the end of its lifespan include slower performance, unusual noises such as clicking or grinding, and errors or corrupted files. It is important to regularly check the health of your HDD using diagnostic tools to monitor its lifespan.

4. Can I repair or replace parts of an external HDD to extend its lifespan?

In most cases, it is not recommended to repair or replace parts of an external HDD as it can cause further damage and decrease its lifespan. It is best to backup your data and replace the HDD if it is showing signs of failure.

5. How does the lifespan of an external HDD compare to other storage devices?

The lifespan of an external HDD is typically longer compared to solid-state drives (SSDs) and USB flash drives, which can last around 3-5 years. However, it is shorter compared to internal HDDs, which can last up to 10 years.