Understanding Life Support Systems

In summary, life support is the general term given to all the stuff that keeps you alive on a spacecraft. It includes things like pressure, oxygen, temperature, and CO2 removal.
davo
What exactly is life support? Is it somthing on the shuttle or in their suites? Is it just somthing to recreat the environment of Earth? Please can some one elaborate?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's the general term given to all the stuff that keeps you alive!
The pressure, oxygen, temperature, CO2 removal etc.

mgb_phys said:
It's the general term given to all the stuff that keeps you alive!
The pressure, oxygen, temperature, CO2 removal etc.

ok so then it would be in both the suite and shuttle. Now why must CO2 be removed? I mean that's really (except for the 1% [including carbon] of other gases we breath) what we breath in, on this world? So i mean what's so bad about it if this compound has oxygen?

Last edited:
CO2 is about 0.03% of air but it is toxic at about 5% (about the same concentration as you breathing out) - ifyou don't remeove it from the air it eventually kills you.
CO2 controls your breathing and blood acidity among other things.

YOu can breath in either air or pure oxygen, the only thing you NEED is O2, butthe rest of the air just has to not have anything toxic. Early US capsules used pure O2 but it was a nasty fire risk, modern craft use air and add extra oxygen from tanks as it used up while at the same time removing CO2.

The shuttle flies with a shirt sleeves atmosphere, you don't need a suit inside it, the suit backpack basically contains smaller versions of the shuttle life support systems.
A submarine or a scuba diving rebreather is a similair system.

Last edited:
You may also consider the systems on board that assist other bodily functions to be "life support" systems as well...

mgb_phys said:
The shuttle flies with a shirt sleeves atmosphere, you don't need a suit inside it, the suit backpack basically contains smaller versions of the shuttle life support systems.

Not quite. While the Shuttle uses a nitrogen-oxygen mix at 1 atm, the suits still use pure oxygen at 4.3 lb/in².

This leads to one drawback. Since the astronauts are breathing a nitrogen-oxygen mix in the shuttle, they have nitrogen disolved in their blood. If they were to go directly to the lower pressure of the suit, the nitrogen would bubble out and they'd get the "bends".

To get around this, an astronaut planning to go EVA has to breathe pure oxygen from a portable unit for 2.5 hrs prior to donning his suit. This flushes the nitrogen out of his blood.

Janus said:
Not quite. While the Shuttle uses a nitrogen-oxygen mix at 1 atm, the suits still use pure oxygen at 4.3 lb/in².
Interesting - presumably to reduce the pressure load on the suit and stop it doing a 'michelin man', I suppose there isn't much fire risk inside a suit.

Fire risk is dependent on [partial] pressure, so it is greatly reduced by the reduced pressure. That's what makes the error that led to the Apollo 1 fire all the more idiotic. It was acutally pressurized - above atmospheric pressure, with pure oxygen. All sorts of normally benign things become flammable under those conditions.

Really! I had always assumed the Mercury capsules were run at near 0.21bar and 100% O2 to reduce the mechanical stress while giving a normal ppO2.
Apart from the fire risk, there is a danger of a CNS hit if you are highly physically stressed at high O2 partial pressures.

wow that's a lot of stuff that i really wanta learn but i don't curntly. lol. what sciences do you learn that stuff in?

I'm an astronomer and diving instructor.

mgb_phys said:
I'm an astronomer and diving instructor.

then you could really help me in my WAS program, right?

1. What is the purpose of life support systems?

Life support systems are designed to provide the necessary environmental conditions for humans or other living organisms to survive and function. This can include maintaining air quality, regulating temperature and humidity, and providing food and water.

2. How do life support systems work?

Life support systems typically consist of various technologies and processes that work together to maintain a stable and livable environment. These can include air filtration systems, temperature control systems, water purification systems, and waste management systems.

3. Why is understanding life support systems important?

Understanding life support systems is important for several reasons. It allows us to create and maintain habitable environments for humans and other living organisms, such as in space or underwater. It also helps us to develop more efficient and sustainable technologies for supporting life on Earth.

4. What are some examples of life support systems?

Some common examples of life support systems include spacecraft life support systems, which provide a livable environment for astronauts in space, and medical life support systems, which assist in maintaining vital functions for patients in critical conditions. Other examples include aquaponic systems, which combine fish farming and plant cultivation to create a sustainable food source, and biosphere projects, which aim to create self-sustaining ecosystems in enclosed environments.

5. How do life support systems impact the environment?

Life support systems can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, they can help to sustain human life in harsh or uninhabitable environments, reducing the need for destructive activities such as deforestation or mining. On the other hand, some life support systems may consume large amounts of resources and produce waste that can harm the environment if not properly managed.