Studying Life while studying engineering

1. I'm thinking about studying for mechanical engineering, but i'm slightly discouraged by the amount of work people say they have to put forth. but is there really that little amount of free time to hang out with friends and do things you enjoy? i mean, will i still have to for my gf and what not? i'm not really motivated in school but i have a general interest in engineering but i don't know if i can do it if it's going to be that much work.
  2. jcsd
  3. chroot

chroot 10,351
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on your work ethic, study habits, and your mastery of the material you were supposed to learn in high school. If you have good study habits, good discipline, and paid attention in high school, you'll still be able to have a full social and romantic life. You can do it!

- Warren
  4. G01

G01 2,698
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are still able to have a social life and a girlfriend while studying science or engineering.

But you won't be able to spend every night partying either. It is a lot of work, but it's not impossible and people complete engineering degrees every year and love their choice of career. Good Luck!
  5. Im not going to lie, your soical life WILL suffer.
  6. Although, it will not be completely nonexistant (although it probably may seem like it at times)
  7. its more managable than one might think, assuming your girlfriend doesn't give you too much drama.
  8. very true!
  9. nicksauce

nicksauce 1,275
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The engineers at my school are actually notorious party animals... us physicists on the other hand...
  10. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus 2,204
    Homework Helper

You are going to have to party less, but you can still party.
  11. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

To be honest, engineering does not sound like a good match for you. Sorry.
  12. You know there will be a time in your life when hanging out with your friends and drinking beer won't be nearly as important to you. A little sacrifice today goes a long way in getting you what you really want tomorrow.
  13. What DO you really want tomorrow (to OP and Ronnin)?
  14. Especially if the majority of your school is male :frown:
  15. Less distraction to study harder!
  16. A job that pays me lots and lots of money to do cool state of the art stuff.
  17. G01

G01 2,698
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Skizzle, I think you should ask yourself the following question:

Do I like and enjoy engineering enough to give up part of my social life to study it?

If you really enjoy engineering, then you probably wouldn't mind giving up some of the social scene in order to study it effectively.

If you can't see engineering being interesting enough to sacrifice some of the nights at the bar, then engineering is not for you.

Find the subject for which you can answer "yes" to the above question, and that is most likely the major of choice for you.
  18. what would you do if you were in my situation;
    program: EE
    cultural background: very strict parents
    social life: NON existent (no boyfriend)
    but= that's OK, it's temporary, when I get my degree probably some guy will find me?
  19. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You're doing fine. Keep working hard now, and you will enjoy the rewards in due course.

20. gender: does not matter
    program: does not matter
    cultural background: does not matter
    social life: does not matter

Also, a boyfriend is not a social life. Its ok if you dont have a social life, however, it is important you have good social skills.
  21. That's an important statement. I remember a thread a while back about how to study for (my opinion here) a ridiculous amount of hours per day (end my opinion)

Many responses were that the OP may be missing out on key aspects of his undergrad life by trying to do literally nothing but study and sustain his health with a bit of sleep and food.

What I mean is that going out to drink or party is not crucial, but having no social life (possibly meaning no social skills) can be detrimental to your life after college
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?