Life without Facebook

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you considered weird if you don't have a facebook account?
I have never experienced life with facebook.

member 392791
Are you considered weird if you don't have a facebook account?
This is actually something that can be discussed, are you breaking social norms by NOT having a facebook? How can this affect someone's social life?

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have never experienced life with facebook.
I have also never experienced life with a cell phone, but I am now thinking about getting one.

Upside: my wife could get in touch with me at all times.

Downside: my wife could get in touch with me at all times.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am wondering in this day and age, how feasible is it to go without things like facebook? Are there major hindrances to going without a social networking account?

The same could be said about this forum. There are people here that use this forum with similar purposes as facebook: they are the ones I see posting here everyday.

What would you do without a facebook or PF?

I'm starting to think I have a problem..I am always on FB or PF now that I am on winter break, but during the semester I turn off my FB, so I just go on PF even more.

Are we better off without social networking sites and internet forums?
It all depends on what a person would do in place of facebook.

Maybe a person that didn't hang around social networking sites would spend more time with real people doing real activities. That would be good.

Or maybe a person would spend more time doing what most people did before facebook - watch sitcoms on TV. Or play Space Invaders on their Atari.

But I do like Facebook for one big reasons - it's easy to share family pictures. And family activities when they're actually noteworthy. The problem is most people's criteria for "noteworthy".

By the way, I plan on going grocery shopping on the way home from work. I'll provide updates later on as to what I bought and how much I paid for different items. Except in my case, that will probably actually be interesting!

Last edited:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have also never experienced life with a cell phone, but I am now thinking about getting one.

Most cell phones include caller ID. Just don't answer. Let her call go to voice mail and just delete it.

George Jones said:

Most cell phones include caller ID. Just don't answer. Let her call go to voice mail and just delete it.
How can he distinguish upside from downside based on caller ID?

What would you do without a facebook or PF?
The same I did one year ago, just without posts here.

Without forums, chats or any other communication tools, the internet would be (or look like) a lonely place, that is true. But that should not be surprising.