Lifes meaning (original topic i know)

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary: There is no ultimate meaning in life, only the meaning we give it through our own experiences and perceptions. The quest for a universal meaning is futile, as it is subjective to each individual. Instead, focus on living in the present moment and finding meaning in the journey of life itself. Whether it be through serving others, constantly improving oneself, or simply enjoying the experience, the meaning of life is found within ourselves.
Gale
So a long long time ago this girl came to a chat forum looking for answers and meaning. What she ended up finding was another social outlet where she could goof off and make herself feel cool

Now she's back onto her quest, and she is determined to find the meaning of life and all its glory. What she needs though is a place to begin her journey...

So let's say your trying to discover the meaning of life, and you want to share it with the world. Where would you begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, take a lot of data. In other words - live.

Njorl

Originally posted by Gale17
So a long long time ago this girl came to a chat forum looking for answers and meaning. What she ended up finding was another social outlet where she could goof off and make herself feel cool

Now she's back onto her quest, and she is determined to find the meaning of life and all its glory. What she needs though is a place to begin her journey...

So let's say your trying to discover the meaning of life, and you want to share it with the world. Where would you begin?

Do you mean to find a meaning to life in general, or to your own life?

Originally posted by Mentat
Do you mean to find a meaning to life in general, or to your own life?

Either or... doesn't matter, i suppose either will just lead me to the other right?

I would begin under the stars.

- Warren

Lifes meaning ... by serving the others

You begin with yourself.
Look to the world and see what you can do positively for it.
Add you personal value(s) and use your talents in making this world a better place.
Everyone can do it in his way.
Be part of the wholeness, don't choose loneliness (egoism).
That's almost the full meaning of life.

Reading your signature ... you know this of course. (your are just testing us!):wink:

I'm going to take a very common position here:

The purpose of humanity as a collective is to one day control our surroudings.

The purpose of life is to surpass ourselves and constantly improve on our mistakes. You break away from morality. Thats when one can escape the feeling of futility which I think you're trying to describe.

Above all, the point is to enjoy life. Do what you want and don't let anything or anyone hold you back.

Establish that life exists and has objective meaning.

The truth is that no one can really tell you what the meaning is because the meaning is very diffenrt in most minds. Finding meaning can be a simple task or the hardest task you have ever taken. It's the kind of meaning you can accept and truly believe to be the right meaning.
My meaning is which completes my life to a certian degree (if it totally completed it i would be dead) is that i should enjoy the good and bad and adapt to the bad as quick as possible. And not to take any thing as completely mine for nothing truly belongs to you. I try to expect everything and outcome so if aliens decide to come i won't freak out and insist that it is impossible. Fact is just about everything is possible. Including Gale being the reborn Jesus.

I think the answer to that question wouldn't be as riveting as everyone thinks. Humans have a purpose, but i think it is much more primitive, and much less philosophical then most people think. What if the meaning of life is to eat, sleep, reproduce, and die? It seems sensible, but it doesn't seem all that pious.

Sad but possibly true.

Life has many different meanings: It sometimes is used to mean the state of being alive, all living things, a type of cereal, etc..

Ok but seriously, life is whatever you percieve it to be. Explaining the meaning of life to someone is like trying to explain what chocolate tastes like to someone who's never eaten, or explaing what something looks like to someone who's never been able to see. Some things you just have to experience for yourself, like life, and it's meaning. What is the meaning of life? That's such a broad question. It infers the questioning reasons why we are here. Maybe that's not so important. Maybe we just ARE, through random biological chance. There's a more important question than why, and that's what-as in what are you going to do with the life you've been given?

The meaning of life is right now.

Meaning is what keeps us going. We are not seeking the point of life. The point is easy to find.

BE HAPPY AND MAKE OTHERS TO.
:smile:

Originally posted by FZ+
Establish that life exists and has objective meaning.

Ow! My brain hurts already. The truth is we don't have a good enough definition of "life", and there's no empirical evidence to suggest that it (if it exists) has a meaning at all.

Leave it to you to bring us back to square one, FZ+! :wink:

Either or... doesn't matter, i suppose either will just lead me to the other right?

Well, that's the thing. You can either believe that your personal life has a meaning, and all other lives have their own individual meanings, or that there is a collective meaning to all lifeforms. In the first case, you will be able to discover the meaning of your own life, but everyone else will have to discover their own for themselves. In the second case, the discovery of your own purpose will lead you to the discovery of the purpose of all life. I don't know which opinion you subscribe to (though, of course, there is the third option: that there is no meaning to life; individual or otherwise, but you wouldn't have asked the question if you held this opinion).

ok well i don't necessarily need someone to just tell me the meaning, but if i were to seriously go out looking for it. Any kind of meaning, to find whether it exists or no. I just want opinions on where you'd begin looking. Places to go, things to do, people to see, ect. Just, things that'd be usefull if you were looking for some revelation or enlightenment or something.

Im shocked jesus herself needs to ask the PF for the meaning of life.

Anyway, I doubt youll find an answer that's profound enough to give you complete confidence its correct.

Couldn't the meaning of life simply be to survive? Seems to make sense to me...most fundamental drive of all life seems to be, just endure.

ok well i don't necessarily need someone to just tell me the meaning, but if i were to seriously go out looking for it. Any kind of meaning, to find whether it exists or no. I just want opinions on where you'd begin looking. Places to go, things to do, people to see, ect. Just, things that'd be usefull if you were looking for some revelation or enlightenment or something.

By making the post to the forum, you have made the analogy to a bigger picture,but although the quest has started, the direction of your QUEST-ions is directionally incorrect.

The first port of call should be to your parents, why did they push you?...what is their meaning of life?..without being crude..one can ask if they were playing out the Universe's collision instructions, by colliding bodily together, another Universe detaches from them.

Although time stamps you to your mothers womb worldline, you have a conscious link to both parents upon birth, the questions you raise are inherent to every conscious observer, is the Big-Bang a collision of higher extended processes?

It is known that life carrying cells at the moment of conception, start to revolve exactly the same rotation as the Milky-Way, it may be that what we perceive as the Big-bang, the route we have taken from some singularity, is no more than a patchy world-line information of our parents Lovemaking..and as we evolve into the consciousness of life, we somehow attach all the earlier informaitons gathered, and transfer it into our Cosmic Horizon in the form of reasons?

The meaning of life simple breaks down to the fact that the beauty of creation lies in its diversity and its strive for perfection.

Just, things that'd be usefull if you were looking for some revelation or enlightenment or something.

Raise your consciousness. That means, cultivate your awareness of things. Don't abstract yourself away from things by thinking too much in words. Don't treat your perceptions as handy ways to get about, but try to inundate yourself in them-- try hard to appreciate how weird and fantastic it is that the room you're in exists, and looks a certain peculiar way. By saying this, all I mean is 'wake up' to the world around you.

True meaning is not to be found in any carefully thought out logical arguments-- what are the axioms? It must be a visceral feeling arising from a certain way of viewing the world, and the only feelings that are particularly evocative of meaning in and of themselves are love and the related 'being bliss.' What you need is some being-bliss. Try meditation. Above all, always be intensely aware of yourself and your environment. If you stick with it long enough, and earnestly practice it, you will get results.

Tomorrow Never Knows
by The Beatles

Turn off your mind relax and float down-stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying.

Lay down all thought surrender to the void,
It is shining, it is shining.

That you may see the meaning of within,
It is being, it is being.

That love is all and love is ev’ryone,
It is knowing, it is knowing.

That ignorance and hate may mourn the dead,
It is believing, it is believing.

But listen to the color of your dreams,
It is not living, it is not living.

Or play the game "existence" to the end
Of the beginning, of the beginning.

1. What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a philosophical and existential question that has been debated for centuries. It is a subjective and personal concept, and there is no one answer that applies to everyone. Some people find meaning in their relationships, others in their careers or passions, and some believe that there is a greater purpose or plan for their life.

2. Does life have a purpose?

Similar to the question about the meaning of life, whether or not life has a purpose is a matter of personal belief. Some people may believe that they have a specific purpose or calling in life, while others may see life as more random or purposeless. Ultimately, this is a question that each individual must answer for themselves.

3. How can I find meaning in my life?

Finding meaning in life is a journey that is unique to each person. Some people may find it through self-reflection and introspection, while others may find it through experiences and interactions with others. It is important to explore different interests, values, and beliefs to discover what brings a sense of purpose and fulfillment to your life.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for the meaning of life?

As a scientist, I can say that the meaning of life is not something that can be scientifically proven or measured. Science can provide insights into the physical and biological aspects of life, but the concept of meaning is beyond the scope of scientific inquiry. It is a philosophical and existential question that is best explored through personal introspection and reflection.

5. Can the meaning of life change over time?

Yes, the meaning of life can change as we grow and evolve as individuals. Our values, beliefs, and priorities may shift throughout our lives, leading us to find new sources of meaning and purpose. It is important to continue to reflect and reassess our lives as we go through different stages and experiences to ensure that we are living a life that is meaningful to us.