Lifetime of rho meson and Kaon

In summary, mesons are made up of quarks and anti-quarks, have quantum numbers and interactions, and have specificlifetimes.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) What is a meson?
(b) State what these mesons are made up of and explain their quantum numbers and interactions.
(c) Find the lifetimes of rho meson and kaon.
(d) Find the dominant decay mode and explain why.
(e) Why is decay to 2 neutral pions forbidden?
(f) Explain how an a1 (1260) meson can be formed and a valid decay.[/B]

2014_B4_Q2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)[/B]
A meson is a composite hadron formed by a quark and an anti-quark. There are three generations of quarks - (u,d), (s,c) and (t,b).

Part(b)
Textbook problem.

Part (c)
How do I find the lifetime from these graphs? I can see that the graphs peak at 1300 decays/bin and 2500 decays/bin respectively. How do I convert that into lifetimes?

Part (d)
Dominant decay mode is in fact decay to 2 Kaons ##K^+## and ##K^-##. The decay to 3 pions is OZI suppressed. We expect lifetime to be 1000 times longer than lifetime of kaons.

Part (e)
In short, because 2 neutral pions cannot have L = 1, otherwise they are anti-symmetric in exchange (which cannot be, since they are bosons that must be symmetric under exchange).

Part (f)
It is possible for L =S=J=1 through L-S coupling to give total J=1. They exist as a spin tripplet. A valid decay would be ##a_1 \rightarrow K + \bar K##.

Physics news on Phys.org
(c) You don't. Instead, you use the uncertainty in the energy, so the width, not the height. Here or here

BvU said:
(c) You don't. Instead, you use the uncertainty in the energy, so the width, not the height. Here or here
Thanks a lot for the links, I'll read that up. Are my other parts to the question OK?

I like part (b) :smile:

Likes unscientific
BvU said:

So since ##\Delta E \delta t = \frac{\hbar}{2}##, I take that the lifetime is the uncertainty ##\delta t## so I simply estimate the half-width ##\Delta E## from the graphs to calculate ##\Delta t##?

Yes. Nice, isn't it ?

Likes unscientific
BvU said:
Yes. Nice, isn't it ?
These questions appear to be harder than they are..

1. What is the lifetime of a rho meson?

The lifetime of a rho meson is approximately 4.41 x 10^-24 seconds.

2. How does the lifetime of a rho meson compare to other particles?

The lifetime of a rho meson is relatively short compared to other particles, such as protons and neutrons, which have lifetimes on the order of 10^23 seconds.

3. How is the lifetime of a rho meson measured?

The lifetime of a rho meson is typically measured through its decay rate, which is the number of rho mesons that decay per unit time.

4. What is the lifetime of a kaon?

The lifetime of a kaon varies depending on its type, with the charged kaon (K+) having a lifetime of approximately 1.24 x 10^-8 seconds and the neutral kaon (K0) having a lifetime of approximately 8.95 x 10^-11 seconds.

5. How does the lifetime of a kaon compare to that of a rho meson?

The lifetime of a kaon is significantly longer than that of a rho meson. The charged kaon (K+) has a lifetime that is approximately 10^16 times longer than the rho meson, while the neutral kaon (K0) has a lifetime that is approximately 10^8 times longer.