1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lifetime of the universe - FRW

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find the value of A and ##\Omega(\eta)## and plot them.
    (b) Find ##a_{max}##, lifetime of universe and deceleration parameter ##q_0##.
    2013_B5_Q3.png

2. Relevant equations

Unsolved problems: Finding lifetime of universe.

3. The attempt at a solution

Part(a)

FRW equation is given by
    [tex]\left( \frac{\dot a}{a}\right)^2 = H_0^2 \Omega_{m,0} a^{-3} - \frac{kc^2}{a^2} [/tex]
    Subsituting and using ##dt = a d\eta##, I find that ##A = \frac{H_0^2}{c^2}\Omega_{m,0}##.
    Using ##\\Omega_m = \Omega_{m,0}a^{-3}##, I find that ##\Omega_m = \frac{kc^2}{H_0^2 sin^2(\frac{\sqrt{k} c \eta}{2})}##.

Part(b)
    Maximum value of normalized scale factor is
    [tex]a_{max} = \frac{A}{k} = \frac{H_0^2}{kc^2}\Omega_{m,0}[/tex]
    Deceleration parameter is given by
    [tex]q_0 = -\frac{\ddot a_0 a_0}{\dot a_0^2}[/tex]
    This can be found by using ##\sqrt {k} c \eta = sin (\sqrt {k} c \eta)##.

How do I find the lifetime of the universe? Is it simply ## \int_0^\infty t d\eta##? If I can solve for the lifetime, I can compare it to its current age and see if that is feasible.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    bumpp

5. Apr 22, 2015 #4
    bumpp - What is the expression for lifetime of a universe? Is it simply## \int_t^{t_0} dt = \int_0^\eta a(\eta) d\eta##?

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5
    bumpp

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6
  8. Apr 25, 2015 #7
    Is the lifetime simply ##\int dt = \int \frac{1}{aH} da##? If so, what are the limits of integration?

9. Apr 26, 2015 #8
    If it is a closed universe, curvature eventually dominates and ##a \rightarrow 0##? so the limits would be from ##1## to ##0##?

10. Apr 30, 2015 #9
    limits anyone?

11. May 4, 2015 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted