1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lift Force (Two Masses)

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 13,000-kg helicopter accelerates upward at 0.37 m/s^2 while lifting a 2000 pound car. To the nearest Newton, what is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?

2. Relevant equations
    I thought since the problem is dealing with forces, I would use F=ma but that wouldn't be the only equation I would use. I know I am dealing with two masses so I don't know how to arrive at the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can still use F = ma. In fact you should. The masses move as one, so you can pretend they are a single mass. Don't forget to convert the weight of the car from pounds to mass in kilograms.

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Okay so do I group the helicopter and the car as one by adding the two masses together? And if so, how do I get the lift force? I know it cannot just be by doing F=ma.

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you group the helicopter and the car as one. How do you know "it cannot just be by doing F = ma?" Draw a free body diagram and put in all the forces. The force exerted on the system by the air is only one of them.

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5
    it would just be (15000)(0.37), that would be only 5550 N. Wouldn't the number be a bit bigger than that? Wouldn't tension be involved?

7. Aug 19, 2009 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First off what does 15000 represent? Let me repeat what I said in post#2. "Don't forget to convert the weight of the car from pounds to mass in kilograms."

Secondly, did you draw a free body diagram? What does multiplying the mass of the (helicopter plus car) system by the acceleration give you? Hint: It is not the force exerted by the air. What force is it?

8. Aug 19, 2009 #7
    Oh, I see! So 2000 lbs. roughly is about 909.1 kg. So 13,000+909.1= 13909.1 kg. (13909.1)(0.37)=5146.367 N. Wouldn't the force be the force of gravity?

9. Aug 19, 2009 #8
    Ok I found the answer. Thank you for your help.

10. Aug 19, 2009 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The force of gravity is mg. Read up on Newton's Second Law. What does F on the left side of the equaiton stand for?

11. Aug 19, 2009 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am glad you found the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook