1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lift force?

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    We all know the lift force in case 1, what about case 2 ? IMG_4271.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that there is also a force from the liquid pushing down on the additional wings you put in ...

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    Buoyant force depends only on the amount of water displaced, not the shape of the object displacing it.

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by "lift force", you actually mean "buoyancy", this can be calculated for case 2, although it is slightly more complicated than case 1.

Remember Archimedes' Principle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

Note: in technical use, "lift force" is usually reserved for a force which is created by a dynamic situation, like the lift generated by an airplane's wings when flying.
    OTOH, "buoyancy" usually refers to a force created by a static situation, like the displacement of fluid by a floating object.

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5
    Thank you for answers,

?????????? To calculate the resultant force is possible, but i wonder distribution of force. ??????????

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6
    Every point on the submerged surface of the object feels a normal force proportional to the pressure at that depth ## \rho g h ##

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Sep 23, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A force can never equal a pressure, the dimensions are different. An area element is subjected to a normal force equal to the pressure multiplied by the area

9. Sep 23, 2015 #8
    Thank you all.

------------------SOLVED------------

10. Sep 23, 2015 #9
    I wanted to steer clear of elemental areas for the sake of clarity but I take your point; I have amended 'equal' to 'proportional'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook