Calculating Wing Lift with a DIY Scale and Air Supply

In summary, the conversation discusses attaching a sheet of wood to a stand and then measuring its lift using a scale and air supply. The speaker asks if it is possible to calculate the lift based on the negative value shown on the scale. They also discuss the importance of perpendicular wind and parallel wind streamlines in accurately measuring lift. Additionally, they mention that turbulence can affect lift.
Ignacio12
Hi!
I have attached a small sheet of wood to a stand and then all of it to a scale. After that with a air supply I've made wind go through the "wing". Due to lift, the scale showed up a negative value. Knowing that value, is it possible to calculate the lift of the wing?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you define lift? And how does what you are measuring differ from that?

The wind must be perpendicular to the scale's measurement axis, and any wind impinging on the weighing platform must be subtracted out. The trick is getting parallel wind streamlines. Also, lift will vary with the amount of turbulence.

1. How do I set up the DIY scale and air supply for measuring wing lift?

To set up the DIY scale and air supply, first attach the scale to a sturdy surface and make sure it is level. Then, attach the wing to the scale using a secure clamp or holder. Next, connect the air supply to the wing and adjust the airflow to the desired rate. Finally, turn on the scale and note the reading.

2. What units of measurement should I use for calculating wing lift?

For accurate calculations, it is recommended to use consistent units of measurement. The most commonly used units for wing lift are pounds (lb) or Newtons (N). It is important to convert any measurements to the same unit before calculating the wing lift.

3. How do I calculate the wing lift using the DIY scale and air supply?

To calculate wing lift, you will need to record the weight of the wing using the DIY scale and the airspeed using the air supply. Then, multiply the weight in pounds by the airspeed in feet per minute (ft/min). This will give you the wing lift in pounds (lb) or Newtons (N).

4. How can I ensure accurate results when using a DIY scale and air supply for measuring wing lift?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to calibrate the scale and air supply before each use. This can be done by placing a known weight on the scale and adjusting the scale reading to match the weight. Additionally, make sure the scale is level and the air supply is delivering a consistent airflow.

5. Can I use a DIY scale and air supply for measuring wing lift on any type of wing?

The DIY scale and air supply method can be used on most types of wings, including flat, curved, and swept wings. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the design and size of the wing. It is recommended to consult with a professional or conduct additional tests for more precise measurements.