Lifters and lifting mechanisms

• Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary, this is a device that uses ion wind to propel itself. It only works in weak vacuum, and doesn't lift off the ground in even 60,000 volts between the conductors.
Jim Kata
Yes, I know it is not anti gravity, but what mechanism do you think causes it. Could someone theoretically show me how an asymmetric capacitor can overpower its mass even with something like 60 keV between the conductors. I just don't see how a capacitor lifts off the ground no matter what voltage I put between the plates. I don't think it is something exotic like a Casimir effect, but what is it, pure electrostatics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I meant to say 60 kV, sixty thousand volts. To anyone doubting that these things work, I have built one and it did fly, even in a vacuum. I know that's little in the way of convincing to someone who might think I'm a quack.

Jim Kata said:
Yes, I know it is not anti gravity, but what mechanism do you think causes it. Could someone theoretically show me how an asymmetric capacitor can overpower its mass even with something like 60 keV between the conductors. I just don't see how a capacitor lifts off the ground no matter what voltage I put between the plates. I don't think it is something exotic like a Casimir effect, but what is it, pure electrostatics?

No, I'm not even sure the term "asymmetric capacitance" has any meaning. This is simple ion wind that propells these things.

(It isn't a good idea to trust the explanation of someone who think's they've found anti-gravity)

jostpuur said:
I haven't been involved with this effect very much, but I remember encountering it in the internet. I suppose it's all about these things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biefeld-Brown_effect

Some more or less cool photos about the topic: http://www.guns.connect.fi/innoplaza/energy/plasma/lifter/corona.jpg http://www.guns.connect.fi/innoplaza/energy/plasma/lifter/detail.jpg

Thanks, this is all I needed. My curiosity has been quenched when I realized this thing doesn't work in extremely low vacuum. The only thing I found interesting about it was that it worked in vacuum, but now that it appears it only works in weak vacuum all my interest has disappeared.

1. What is a lifter?

A lifter is a device that is used to lift or move objects. It is often operated by a motor or other power source and can be designed for different types of lifting tasks.

2. What are the different types of lifters?

There are several types of lifters, including hydraulic lifters, pneumatic lifters, electric lifters, and manual lifters. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suited for different lifting tasks.

3. How do lifters work?

Lifters work by using a power source, such as a motor or air compressor, to generate force that is then used to lift or move objects. The specific mechanism and components may vary depending on the type of lifter.

4. What are the safety considerations when using lifters?

When using lifters, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer. This may include proper training, wearing appropriate protective gear, and regular maintenance of the lifter.

5. What are the common uses for lifters?

Lifters are commonly used in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation, for lifting and moving heavy objects. They can also be used for tasks such as loading and unloading trucks, assembling machinery, and positioning materials.