Designing a Vertical Lifting and Holding System for Farm Use

• Thread starter tmaker1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary, the device is designed to lift a load of 100 kg against gravity and then lower it back to its original position. The device requires a power of 350 J to do this in 3.5 seconds. The sketch includes a sketch of the device's belt and how it attaches to the mounting plate.
tmaker1965
hi ya'all

i am not in technical and not a student.

just want to do a small project on my own for my small farm.
'
what i want to do :

1. a lifting device to lift about 100 kg up - about 350 mm

2. then it will lower it down and the hold it in position ( need to press at this point,means exert the force of the motor here - about 190 kgf)

speed of travel is about 3 to 5 seconds.

after checking the net for standard parts and so on,i will be using timing belt with timing pulley.

so,may i know what size of motor and gear ratio to use ?

thanks all !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello TM, welcome to PF :smile: !

Well I do hope you are practical, then. I can give you a few physics equations but your solution depends a great deal more on the practical implementation :smile:.

To raise 100 kg against gravity 10 m/s2 requires a force of at least 100 kgf or 1000 Newton
To lift it by 1 m requires 1000 Newton x 1 m = 1000 Joule, so to lift it by 0.35 m requires 350 J.
If that has to be done in 3.5 seconds, that is a power of 350 J / 3.5 sec = 100 Watt.

To accelerate 100 kg from 0 to 0.1 m/s in, say 0.5 sec, requires 100 x 0.1 / 0.5 = 20 Newton.
Lifting and accelerating is less than what's required for pressing, so that 195 kgf is the determining quantity.

You mention timing belt and pulley, but that yields torque, rotation force. To convert to up and down motion you need a ball screw or a rack and pinion. They then determine a gear ratio. Friction from all those items must be overcome as well.

To me the physics look simple, I hope that for you the practical side is simple !

Perhaps google for Motorised car jack?

Might not be fast enough?

100 watt . isn't it too small ?

my neighbor built one ti lift 50 kg and he uses a 0.37 kw motor and it struggles. my system is 100 kg...

i will try to provide a sketch and see what is the suggestions.

thanks !

ok...here's what i can 'sketch''...lol..

Attachments

• Sk 1.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 173
The 0.37 kW motor struggling with 50 kg goes to show a good neighbor is worth more than a far-away physicist :rolleyes: !

Apparently the power required is a lot more than the net physics calculation, which I stil think is correct.

Can't say i really understand your picture. Does the timing belt really go around a corner ? What makes it lift the load ? Where and how does the pressing down take place ? Frame plate is fixed to the ground and mounting plate moves up and down ?

maybe this will provide a clearer picture...sorry mate.

Frame fixed to the ground. mounting plate moves up and down and carry the load and press at it's lower position.

Attachments

• Sk 1.pdf
    4.5 KB · Views: 170
Somewhat clearer, indeed. So the timing belt is attached to the mounting plate.
Is the load also attached to the mounting plate ? How does it get lifted ?
What is being pressed ? in what direction ? What's holding it in place on the other side ?

ok...here goes. again..lol

timing belt and load - yes attached to the mounting plate which will move up and down

then the load will rest on my 'product' and then press down ,say a few mm. it's a little only .

i got a friend somehow to try to calculate for me, I need 0.6 kw motor ... far off from 100 watt, right ?

If 0.37 kW struggles with 50 kg, then 0.6 kW will struggle even harder with 100 kg ?
My guess is that the physical power needed for lifting isn't really the bottleneck for this device.

Is it clear to you that the angle between the lower end of the belt and the ground should remain 90 degrees ?
The pulling force from the motor on the belt has one vertical component and one horizontal component.
When that angle is,e.g. 30 degrees, only half the pulling force is doing the lifting.

Same for pressing down; now the high end of the belt should remain reasonably vertical.

hahaha...sorry.

the sketch is drawn in a way that the belt can be seen ! it's vertical / parallel to the up -down motion.

What is lifting and lowering and hold?

Lifting and lowering and hold is a scientific concept that refers to the movement of objects in a vertical direction, either up or down, and their ability to remain suspended in a specific position.

What are the factors that affect lifting and lowering and hold?

The main factors that affect lifting and lowering and hold include the weight of the object, the force applied, and the surface area of contact between the object and the surface it is being lifted or lowered on.

What is the role of gravity in lifting and lowering and hold?

Gravity plays a crucial role in lifting and lowering and hold as it is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In order to lift an object, a force greater than the force of gravity must be applied, and to lower an object, a force less than the force of gravity must be applied.

What are some examples of lifting and lowering and hold in everyday life?

Examples of lifting and lowering and hold in everyday life include lifting weights at the gym, using an elevator to go up or down a building, and holding a book in your hand.

How can lifting and lowering and hold be calculated?

The force required to lift or lower an object can be calculated using the equation F = m x g, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Additionally, the force required to hold an object in place can be calculated using the equation F = μ x N, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the object and the surface it is resting on.