How Does Density Affect the Lifting Power of Helium Balloons?

In summary: Pg=9.82 and the mass of the storller+the baby is 10kgI am sorry. I meant 10 kg. In summary, Mr. Bean's use of helium-filled balloons to lift a stroller with a baby in it in the film "Mind the Baby" is not entirely realistic. The density of helium is much lower than that of air, making it an impractical choice for lifting objects. The number of balloons used by Mr. Bean is estimated to be around 20, with each balloon having a lifting force of F=rho * g * V. However, due to inconsistencies in the given information, it is difficult to accurately determine the size and weight of the stroller and
Drizzy

Homework Statement

Mr Bean – Mind the baby (19:45)

In the film we see how Mr. Bean air puts a stroller with a baby in with the help of a number of helium-filled balloons. Appreciate the reasonableness of this!

1. What is the density of helium and air?

2. What do you think a stroller with a baby should weigh?

3. How big is the lifting power of the balloon in the film?

4. How many balloons are using Mr. Bean?

5. How many balloons should be required?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

1. The density of air at sea level and at 15 °C is 1.225 kg/m3. The density of helium is 178.6 g/cm3.

2. The weigh of the baby and the stroller is probably around 10*g

3. The lifting power of the balloon is: F=rho * g * V

Now I need the volume of the balloon, I can either estimate the volume or estimate the mass and then multiply it by the density to get the volume. What should I do?

4. I couldn't really count but he probably used around 20 balloons.

5. I divide the lifting foorce with the number of balloons that he used to see how much one balloon can lift. Then I calculate the difference between the lifting force and the stroller + baby's weight. so on...

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drizzy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The density of air at sea level and at 15 °C is 1.225 kg/m3. The density of helium is 178.6 g/cm3.
What source did you use to obtain the density of helium?

Don't you think it would be better if the densities of air and helium were expressed in the same units?

2. The weigh of the baby and the stroller is probably around 10*g
What are the units of "10*g"? What does that even mean?

SteamKing said:
What source did you use to obtain the density of helium?

Don't you think it would be better if the densities of air and helium were expressed in the same units?What are the units of "10*g"? What does that even mean?

I used wikipedia :P

Probably... 1.225 kg/m3. The density of helium is 178600 kg/m3.

g=9.82 and the mass of the storller+the baby is 10kg

Drizzy said:
I used wikipedia :P

Probably... 1.225 kg/m3. The density of helium is 178600 kg/m3.

Do you really think that helium gas has a density of 178.6 tons per cubic meter? Wouldn't that make helium the most dense material on earth?

g=9.82 and the mass of the storller+the baby is 10kg

Either quote the mass of the stroller, 10 kg, or its weight, 98.2 N, but avoid expressions like "10*g".

oops it is 0.1786 kg/m3

What is the principle behind the lifting force on balloons?

The lifting force on balloons is based on the principle of buoyancy. When a balloon is filled with a gas that is less dense than the surrounding air, it experiences an upward force that is greater than its weight, causing it to rise.

What factors affect the lifting force on balloons?

The lifting force on balloons is affected by several factors, including the volume of the balloon, the density of the gas inside, and the weight of the balloon and any attached objects. Air temperature and pressure also play a role in determining the lifting force.

How do different types of gases affect the lifting force on balloons?

The type of gas used to fill a balloon can greatly impact its lifting force. Helium is the most commonly used gas for balloons as it is less dense than air and provides a strong lifting force. However, other gases such as hydrogen and hot air can also be used, but their lifting force may not be as strong.

Can the lifting force on balloons be increased?

Yes, the lifting force on balloons can be increased by increasing the volume of the balloon or by using a lighter gas such as helium. However, there is a limit to how much weight a balloon can lift, so it is important to consider the weight of any attached objects.

What are the practical applications of understanding the lifting force on balloons?

Understanding the lifting force on balloons has several practical applications, such as in hot air balloons, weather balloons, and blimps. It is also important in fields such as meteorology, where weather balloons are used to gather data about atmospheric conditions. Additionally, understanding the principles of buoyancy and the lifting force on balloons can also help in designing and engineering other objects that rely on similar principles, such as airships and submarines.