Solving the Simpsons' Eviction Homework Statement

• Thread starter shimizua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary: The Simpsons are being evicted from their home and refuse to leave their 2 meter-long family sofa. Two movers have been sent to lift the couch, each grabbing one end. Homer weighs 100 kg, Santa's Little Helper weighs 20 kg, Marge weighs 60 kg, Lisa weighs 30 kg, Snowball weighs 5 kg, Maggie weighs 10 kg, Bart weighs 40 kg, and the couch itself weighs 100 kg. The distances of each occupant from the left end of the couch are 0.25 m for Homer, 0.50 m for Santa's Little Helper, 0.75 m for Marge, 1.00 m for Lisa, 1.25 m for Snow
shimizua

Homework Statement

The Simpsons are sitting on their 2 meter-long family sofa. They are being evicted but refuse to leave their sofa. The police send two movers to lift the couch. Each grabs one end.< /sub>
M Homer = 100 kg
M Santa's Little Helper =20kg,
MMarge= 60 kg,
MLisa=30kg,
MSnowball=5kg,
MMaggie=10kg,
MBart=40kg,
Mcouch=100 kg
The distance of each occupant from the left end of the couch is xHomer=0.25m
xSanta's Little Helper0.50m,
xMarge=0.75m,
xLisa=1.00m,
xSnowball=1.25m,
xMaggie=1.50m,
xBart=1.75m,
Xcouch= 1 m
What force do the two movers need to apply at x=0m and x=2.00m to lift the couch and hold it steady 1 meter off the floor? The mover on the left drops his end. The mover on the right continues to hold his end steady 2 meters off the floor. Hint: calculate the net torque about the right end of the couch. The moment of inertia of the couch that rotates about one end is 1/3ML2. Determine the initial angular acceleration of the couch.Use the value for the initial angular acceleration to determine the initial vertical acceleration of the couch underneath Homer and Marge. Do either of them float off the couch as it rotates from underneath them?One of the movers is very strong so he decides to pick the sofa up by himself. Where would he need to lift it so that it does not rotate out of his grasp? Beneath what location X from the left end would he need to lift so that the couch does not rotate when he picks it up.

Homework Equations

Well so far all that i can come up with is that each will need to pick up 182.5kg. i am not sure about really anything else, except for maybe the first part about the force the two movers need at x=0 and x=2. would i just do F=ma? other then that i am pretty lost

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have this exact problem for homework as well. HELP!

janine5486 said:
I have this exact problem for homework as well. HELP!

Welcome to PF.

I suggest you follow the links that have been supplied.

There are two important conditions that need to be met.

Σ Forces holding the couch up and Springfield inhabitants weighing it down = 0

Σ Torque about either end must also be 0.

1. What is the Simpsons' eviction homework problem?

The Simpsons' eviction homework problem is a famous mathematical puzzle that appeared in an episode of the popular TV show "The Simpsons". The problem involves the Simpson family being given an eviction notice and needing to solve a math problem to prove that they deserve to keep their house.

2. What is the solution to the Simpsons' eviction homework problem?

The solution to the Simpsons' eviction homework problem is to find the smallest positive integer that can be written as the sum of two cubes in two different ways. This number is known as the "Simpson's Constant" and has been proven to be 87539319.

3. Who solved the Simpsons' eviction homework problem?

The Simpsons' eviction homework problem was solved by mathematician Andrew Booker in 2019. He used a combination of computer algorithms and mathematical techniques to find the solution.

4. Why is the Simpsons' eviction homework problem important?

The Simpsons' eviction homework problem is important because it highlights the connection between math and real-life situations. It also showcases the power of mathematics to solve complex problems and the role of technology in modern problem-solving.

5. Are there any other famous math problems from TV shows or movies?

Yes, there are many other famous math problems from TV shows and movies, such as the Monty Hall problem from the TV show "Let's Make a Deal" and the Good Will Hunting problem from the movie "Good Will Hunting". These problems often serve to demonstrate the practical applications of math in everyday life.