Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Light acceleration

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    A beam of light bends when near a star. Since velocity is a vector, although the path still follows a null geodesic, a change in direction implies that acceleration is present. Light does then, in fact, accelerate. Is this correct ?:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coordinate acceleration.

It can have coordinate acceleration. Geodesic world-line corresponds to zero proper acceleration.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No it is not correct. A geodesic is followed BECAUSE there is no force being applied to the light. The geodesic is "bent" if looked at via Euclidean geometry, which would imply a force on the light, but space-time does not follow Euclidean geometry, It follows Riemann geometry and the geodesic is a straight line implying no force.

To restate: the light is not changing direction. It is going in a straight line.

EDIT: I see AT beat me to it and gave a more complete answer.

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to be specific:
    Pseudo-Riemannian geometry. In Riemannian geometry the metric is positive definite.

6. Sep 20, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK. Thanks

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The spatial path of light is curved and the propagation direction does change. Only its world-line is a geodesic (locally straight).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted