Light again

• Thread starter Bri
  • Start date
Bri
A ray of light strikes a flat block of glass (n=1.5) of thickness 2.0 cm at an angle of 30 degrees with the normal. Find the distance the light is shifted.
I found the angle of refraction to be 19.471 degrees.
I figured I could find the horizontal distance travelled by rays going through at 30 and 19.471 degrees using tan(theta) = d/2.
Then I subtracted one distance from the other, and I get .446 cm, when, according to the book, I should get 3.88 mm.
What am I doing wrong?

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper
Bri said:
A ray of light strikes a flat block of glass (n=1.5) of thickness 2.0 cm at an angle of 30 degrees with the normal. Find the distance the light is shifted.
I found the angle of refraction to be 19.471 degrees.
I figured I could find the horizontal distance travelled by rays going through at 30 and 19.471 degrees using tan(theta) = d/2.
Then I subtracted one distance from the other, and I get .446 cm, when, according to the book, I should get 3.88 mm.
What am I doing wrong?

The lines of both the incident and emerging rays are parallel, and the shift of the light rays is characterized by the distance between those parallel lines. It is the length of the intersecting normal ("S" in the picture attached).

ehild

Last edited:
Yes.I drew that line too but it is rather ugly. :p