Light & Dark: What Happens When Light Comes In?

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of darkness and its relation to light. It is explained that darkness is simply the absence of light and when a light source is introduced, photons fill the room, creating light. Therefore, asking questions about the nature of darkness is meaningless. An analogy is used to further illustrate this concept.
sutupidmath
HI all, i just wanted to know what happens, or maybe it is better to say how does one explain where does the darkness go when the light comes in? in other words, say we are in a dark room, and suddenly one turns on the light, what happens to the darkness? What is the porper explanation for this??

Science news on Phys.org
That doesn't make sense; it's like asking where the cold goes when a source of heat is introduced.

does this mean, that there is no dark at all, but it is just a, how to say, notation for the absence of light??

Yes, darkness is just the absence of light. So when you turn a light on, the photons released by the lamp start bouncing around in the room, 'filling' it with light.

russ_watters said:
Yes, darkness is just the absence of light. So when you turn a light on, the photons released by the lamp start bouncing around in the room, 'filling' it with light.

so asking questions about the nature of darkness is nonsense, right? It is a little hard for me to grasp this, since i do not actually have a good background in physics, i am quite bad at it indeed!

It might be useful to consider this analogous question: There was nobody in my office this morning, until I entered. Where did the "nobody" go? What is the nature of nobody?

Yes, that makes it a meaningless question.

1. What is the difference between light and dark?

Light and dark are two opposite ends of the visible spectrum. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye, while dark is the absence of light. Light is associated with brightness, color, and visibility, while dark is associated with shadow and low visibility.

2. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three ways: reflection, absorption, and transmission. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, absorption occurs when light is absorbed by a material, and transmission occurs when light passes through a material.

3. What happens when light comes in contact with an object?

When light comes in contact with an object, it can either be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. The amount of light that is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted depends on the properties of the object, such as its color, texture, and transparency.

4. How does light affect our daily lives?

Light plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to see our surroundings, provides us with energy through photosynthesis, regulates our sleep patterns, and has many practical applications such as lighting, communication, and technology.

5. What are some examples of how light and dark interact in nature?

Light and dark interact in various ways in nature. Some examples include the day-night cycle, the changing colors of the sky during sunrise and sunset, the formation of rainbows, and the process of photosynthesis in plants. Light and dark also play a significant role in animal behavior and survival, such as camouflage and predator-prey relationships.