Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light and darkness!

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    HI all, i just wanted to know what happens, or maybe it is better to say how does one explain where does the darkness go when the light comes in? in other words, say we are in a dark room, and suddenly one turns on the light, what happens to the darkness? What is the porper explanation for this??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That doesn't make sense; it's like asking where the cold goes when a source of heat is introduced.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    does this mean, that there is no dark at all, but it is just a, how to say, notation for the absence of light??

5. Feb 28, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, darkness is just the absence of light. So when you turn a light on, the photons released by the lamp start bouncing around in the room, 'filling' it with light.

6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    so asking questions about the nature of darkness is nonsense, right? It is a little hard for me to grasp this, since i do not actually have a good background in physics, i am quite bad at it indeed!

7. Feb 28, 2008 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might be useful to consider this analogous question: There was nobody in my office this morning, until I entered. Where did the "nobody" go? What is the nature of nobody?

8. Feb 28, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that makes it a meaningless question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?