Can a Strong Magnetic Field Bend Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a magnetic field bending light, with some disagreement among participants. It is mentioned that gravitational fields bend light due to the bending of space and time, while magnetic fields do not have the same effect. However, it is argued that in non-linear media, such as solids and liquids, magnetic fields can affect the speed and polarization of light. It is also noted that according to quantum electrodynamics, photon-photon and photon-nuclear interactions can occur, leading to a non-linear departure from classical predictions. Additionally, it is mentioned that two light beams propogating in opposite directions can interact gravitationally, but this has not been proven for magnetic fields.
Andy
Didnt think that this should go in the theoretical physics section, but if it should feel free to move it.

We all know that a large gravitational field can bend light, but my question is would it be possible for a large enough magnetic field to bend light? I know that this doesn't happen around the Sun or at least i think it doesnt, but if it was more concentrated, if its possible for a magnetic field to be of a higher concentration, could it bend light?

I think that's long winded for what i want to ask, but you should get the idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
No.
Gravitational fields bend space and time, so the
light rays passing through the bent area, bend with
it.

Magnetic and electrostatic fields, are supposed to be
completely different from gravitational fields, since
they don't bend space+time.

These instead operate by sending out virtual photons,
which ultimately lead to a force being exerted.

It is also true that magnetic and electric fields add linearly without affecting one another. Since light is a wave in a magnetic-electric field, magnetic fields cannot affect light.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
It is also true that magnetic and electric fields add linearly without affecting one another. Since light is a wave in a magnetic-electric field, magnetic fields cannot affect light.

This is certainly true in a vacuum or a linear medium. In non-linear media two light waves can interact to produce new frequencies as in a Fabry-Perot cavity modulator.

Originally posted by Andy
Didnt think that this should go in the theoretical physics section, but if it should feel free to move it.

We all know that a large gravitational field can bend light, but my question is would it be possible for a large enough magnetic field to bend light? I know that this doesn't happen around the Sun or at least i think it doesnt, but if it was more concentrated, if its possible for a magnetic field to be of a higher concentration, could it bend light?

I think that's long winded for what i want to ask, but you should get the idea.

Since the field has energy and since energy has mass and since mass is the source of gravity then it follows that a magnetic field will general a gravitational field and such a field can delfect light.

Even light can generate a gravitational field and deflect light! :-)

Pete

Since light is a wave in a magnetic-electric field, magnetic fields cannot affect light.
This is a wrong statement , magnetic fields do affect light , they change the spectral output of light .

Originally posted by McQueen
This is a wrong statement , magnetic fields do affect light , they change the spectral output of light .
Well, light doesn't have any quality called 'spectral output' that I know of!

I think you're talking about the hyperfine splitting, and how magnetic fields can affect the light produced by atoms immersed in the field -- and this is correct.

However, once emitted by the atom, the photons themselves are not affected by the magnetic field in any way.

- Warren

Well, as mmwave pointed out, this is only true in a vacuum. Magnetic field effects upon light are observed in solids and liquids, generally referred to as magneto-optic effects.

Generally a magnetic field aligned to the propogation axis of light causes left and right circularly polarized light to travel at different speeds in the substance, (i.e., the index of refraction for left and right circular polarization is changed).
The most common example is Faraday rotation, where, due to the above effect, the plane of polarization of linearly polarized light is rotated as it passes thru the material, the amount of rotation being proportional to the magnetic field and the path length through the material.

Many ingenious & useful devices have been developed as a result of these effects.

Creator :wink:

P.S. Magneto-optic effects also take place in plasmas, where, for ex., Faraday rotation is observed in polarized radio waves through the Earth's ionosphere.

Last edited:
Originally posted by mmwave
This is certainly true in a vacuum or a linear medium. In non-linear media two light waves can interact to produce new frequencies as in a Fabry-Perot cavity modulator.

Thanks mmwave.
Furthermore, (and somewhat contradicting my previous post), according to quantum electrodynamics two light waves DO interact even in the vacuum, violating the (classical) superposition principle.

This is a very small interaction but represents a non-linear departure from the classical predictions. It's a result of the virtual polarization of the vacuum which causes a non-vanishing photon scattering cross section. In QED photon-photon scattering is predicted, but very small.

ALSO, let it be known that photon interaction with the nuclear coulomb field is also shown to occur and has been measured exactly as predicted by QED; it is usually referred to as Delbruck scattering.

Creator:wink:

Originally posted by pmb
Since the field has energy and since energy has mass and since mass is the source of gravity then it follows that a magnetic field will general a gravitational field and such a field can delfect light.

Even light can generate a gravitational field and deflect light! :-)

pmb,
It may interest you to know (and I found quite interesting) that, using Quantum Field Theory, Tolman, Ehrenfest, & Podolsky found that two light beams propogating in the same direction do not interact gravitationally; BUT two beams going in opposite directions DO interact! Two different derivations are given in A. Zee's book entitled, Quantum Field Theory ...

However, I'm not sure that proof has ever been given of gravitating magnetic fields.

Creator

Originally posted by Creator
...using Quantum Field Theory, Tolman, Ehrenfest, & Podolsky found that two light beams propogating in the same direction do not interact gravitationally; BUT two beams going in opposite directions DO interact!

That's true only for low energy graviton exchange. If we include higher energy exchanges, we do see the expected gravitational interaction of photons, whatever their relative momentum.

However, I'm not sure that proof has ever been given of gravitating magnetic fields.

Magnetic and electric fields are different aspects of the electromagnetic field, which is light.

Last edited:
Originally posted by jeff
That's true only for low energy graviton exchange. ...

Yes, it was shown to be so in the 'weak field limit'. However I still find it interesting. I'm not quite sure what 'high energy exchange' would represent physically for two photon beams.

Magnetic and electric fields are different aspects of the electromagnetic field, which is light.

Yes, Jeff, I know, but that is still not considered explicit proof that magnetic fields gravitate.

Creator

Last edited:
...not quite sure what 'high energy exchange' would represent physically for two photon beams.

Then maybe you should find out.

...that [Magnetic and electric fields are different aspects of the electromagnetic field, which is light] is still not considered explicit proof that magnetic fields gravitate.

If you accept that magnetic fields are just photons, then how can you doubt that light gravitates? After all, light has energy, and all energy gravitates.

Originally posted by pmb

Why do you insist on inserting this extra step in your reasoning by saying "energy has mass and mass generates gravity" when mass-energy equivalence allows you to dispense with this and just say that energy gravitates?

I looked at your site and you make a big deal out of the issue of whether or not the use of the term "relativistic mass" is legitimate. But really it's just a convention, some people like to use it - I'm one of them - and others think it's better not to, and I think they're being silly.

Originally posted by jeff
Why do you insist on inserting this extra step in your reasoning by saying "energy has mass and mass generates gravity" when mass-energy equivalence allows you to dispense with this and just say that energy gravitates?

I looked at your site and you make a big deal out of the issue of whether or not the use of the term "relativistic mass" is legitimate. But really it's just a convention, some people like to use it - I'm one of them - and others think it's better not to, and I think they're being silly.

So you have your opinions and I have mine. I thought you agreed to disagree? What is it that you want?

I don't make a big deal of "relativistic mass." It's simply something I'm studying. I use that website to record what I'm doing. The site is has a purpose which is not what you may think it is. I solidify concepts in my mind by putting them in writing. And I put them on the internet because it's easier to communicate with people I know in e-mail this way. I don't have to hope that they can read MS - Word etc. And since I discuss this a huge amount on the internet then it's a great way to discuss this since it's easier to see equations this way.

Regarding why I refer to mass instead of energy - I've explained that to you already. Was I unclear?

Pmb

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons, which travel in waves at the speed of light.

2. How does light interact with magnetic fields?

Light and magnetic fields are closely related, as both are forms of electromagnetic radiation. When light passes through a magnetic field, the field can alter the path or intensity of the light waves.

3. What is the role of magnetic fields in the production of light?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in the production of light. When charged particles, such as electrons, move through a magnetic field, they create electromagnetic radiation, including light.

4. How do magnetic fields affect the properties of light?

Magnetic fields can affect the polarization and wavelength of light. When light passes through a magnetic field, the electric and magnetic fields within the light can become aligned with the magnetic field, changing its properties.

5. Can magnetic fields be used to manipulate light?

Yes, magnetic fields can be used to manipulate light in a process called magneto-optics. This is used in various technologies, such as magneto-optic data storage and optical isolators, to control the properties and direction of light.