Optics and Light: Frequency, Energy & More

SCIn summary, x-rays, visible light, and infrared radiation are different from each other because of their differing frequencies, which are proportional to their energy. They are not different because of their amplitudes or velocities, and they are not all electromagnetic waves.A stained glass window refracts, reflects, transmits, and absorbs light. The only uncertainty is whether it transmits light. When light goes from air to water at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees, it bends towards the normal because water has a greater index of refraction, which slows light.When light goes from glass to air at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees, it bends away from the normal because it goes from a smaller index of refraction to a
mmg0789
*Answers may include more than one choice

X-ray, visible light and infared radiation are differnt from each other because:

--of differing frequencies-i know this is right
--of differing energies--i am not sure as to whether this is right or wrong because from what i understand, different frequencies could lead to different enrgies (blue has more energy than red, etc)
--of differing amplitudes--i know this is wrong
--of differing velociites--i know this is wrong
--they are not all electromagnetic waves---i know this is wrong
------------------

A stained glass window
--refracts light
--reflects light
--transmits light
--absorbs light

i am pretty sure about all of them being right except for transmitting light and refracting it. i think it could refract it because it turns it. i have no idea about transmitting light
-----------------------------------

light goes from air to water; angle of incidence = 30

i think light bends toward the normal because water has a greater index of refraction which slows light
--------------------------

light goes from glass to air; angle of incidence=30

pretty much the opposite of the previous one because it goes from a smaller index of recraction to a greater one
---------------------------------'

light slows down; angle of incidence=30

i don't think there is enough information to conclude whether this goes away or towards the normal
---------------------------------

used to magnify objects--i believe that this is a characteristic of concave mirrors and converging mirrors, but I'm not sure if it is characteristic of diverging mirrors--i believe that this NEVER makes an image larger

--------------------------------
an object inside a focal point of a convering lens forms an image that is

a.upright
b.upside down
c real
d virtual
e larger than the object
f smaller than the object
g the same size as the object

i'm sure it creates an upright and virtual image...but whether it is smaller or larger than the object I'm not sure, because it could be both depending on where it is looked from

-----------------------
the photoelectric effect

a can be used to create electric current
b occurs when light shining on a n emitting surface has a minimum intensity
c occurs when light shinng on an emitting surface has a minimum frequency
d supports the wave theory of light
e supports the particle nature of light

i'm pretty sure that a and b are correct, but i am not sure if e is correct

thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1. the photons have different energies and frequencies. Energy is proporational to frequency.

In the last one, b is not right and you are missing one of d and e.

AM

mmg0789 said:

light slows down; angle of incidence=30

i don't think there is enough information to conclude whether this goes away or towards the normal
-------

Note that the speed of light in a medium is equal to c/n. So if light slows down as it goes from a medium A to a medium B, it means that the index of refraction of B is larger than the index of A. That should tell you how to answer the question

--------------------------------
an object inside a focal point of a convering lens forms an image that is

a.upright
b.upside down
c real
d virtual
e larger than the object
f smaller than the object
g the same size as the object

i'm sure it creates an upright and virtual image...but whether it is smaller or larger than the object I'm not sure, because it could be both depending on where it is looked from

thank you in advance
Draw a ray diagram and you will see right away.

hi, thanks for the responses, i have 2 more that i am unsure about

a mirage is caused by:
reflection--this is the choice i am unsure about b/c i think it does reflect and refract at the same time but it didnt mention aanything about reflection in my text
diifraction-WRONG
refraction-RIGHT
deflection-WRONG
scattering-WRONG
water-WRONG
-------------------------------

the difference in the path length of the interfering rays at the first order dark is

1/2 wavelength
3/2
5/2

i'm sure the whole numbers are wrong, and I'm sure that 1/2 is right, but i don't know about the other 3/2 and 5/2 because 1/2 is a condition only under the first dark fringe, but w/ the other ones, 2nd..3rd...it increases by an odd number of half wavelength. correct?

mmg0789 said:
the difference in the path length of the interfering rays at the first order dark is

1/2 wavelength
3/2
5/2

i'm sure the whole numbers are wrong, and I'm sure that 1/2 is right, but i don't know about the other 3/2 and 5/2 because 1/2 is a condition only under the first dark fringe, but w/ the other ones, 2nd..3rd...it increases by an odd number of half wavelength. correct?

Spot on :smile:

~H

1. What is the relationship between frequency and energy in optics and light?

The relationship between frequency and energy in optics and light is directly proportional. This means that as the frequency of light increases, the energy of the light also increases. This is known as the Planck-Einstein relation, which states that energy is directly proportional to frequency and is inversely proportional to wavelength.

2. How does the frequency of light affect its color?

The frequency of light determines the color that we perceive. The higher the frequency, the bluer the light appears, while lower frequencies result in redder colors. This is because different frequencies of light stimulate different color receptors in our eyes, allowing us to see a range of colors.

3. What is the speed of light and why is it considered a constant in optics?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered a constant in optics because it does not change regardless of the frequency or wavelength of light. This is a fundamental principle in physics known as the speed of light postulate.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed by matter, it is converted into another form of energy, such as heat. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium.

5. What is the difference between a wave and a particle in optics and light?

In optics and light, the wave-particle duality theory states that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. This means that light can exhibit characteristics of both a wave, such as interference and diffraction, and a particle, such as the emission of photons. The behavior of light can vary depending on the specific experiment or observation being made.