1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Light and oxygen acting upon the eye and the lung during the process of Evolution

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Did the evolution of the eye include interaction/reaction with a specific frequency of light? Did the evolution of the lung include interaction/reaction with the air density, humidity, and temperature of its environment?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well - yes. But those are just a small part of the way life adapts to the environment. Homeostasis got cleverer and cleverer as the species got more and more advanced.

4. Aug 10, 2017 #3
    I see. "Homeostasis". Forgive my ignorance, you gave me something to look up! :)

5. Aug 10, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's just a word for 'control system' in any other circumstance. (Biologists just had to get a look in with their long words).
    If you think about the way different life forms have different ways of achieving gaseous exchange then evolution had to come into it. I was looking at a damselfly larva in my garden pond the other day. It has little gills sticking back out of its tail. "Caudal Gills", apparently. The go the Biologists again. I could think of a much more descriptive word. They are obviously there and just that size for a reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted