Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Light and oxygen acting upon the eye and the lung during the process of Evolution

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Did the evolution of the eye include interaction/reaction with a specific frequency of light? Did the evolution of the lung include interaction/reaction with the air density, humidity, and temperature of its environment?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well - yes. But those are just a small part of the way life adapts to the environment. Homeostasis got cleverer and cleverer as the species got more and more advanced.

4. Aug 10, 2017 #3
    I see. "Homeostasis". Forgive my ignorance, you gave me something to look up! :)

5. Aug 10, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's just a word for 'control system' in any other circumstance. (Biologists just had to get a look in with their long words).
    If you think about the way different life forms have different ways of achieving gaseous exchange then evolution had to come into it. I was looking at a damselfly larva in my garden pond the other day. It has little gills sticking back out of its tail. "Caudal Gills", apparently. The go the Biologists again. I could think of a much more descriptive word. They are obviously there and just that size for a reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted