1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light and prisms .

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    Light and prisms.....

Hi,

I'm trying to create an light effect similar to a laser line generator (like you find on laser spirit levels). but I want to use a regular torch rather than a laser diode. I heard somewhere you can replicate this effect using glass prisms to project a bright white line of light agains a wall. Any ideas?

cheers

Clubturbo

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Light and prisms.....

I am unaware of any device that does this- line generators can be either cylindrical lenses or more commonly diffractive elements. Neither will work for a broadband source, chromatic dispersion will give you lots of pretty rainbows (which is fine, but probably not what you want).

Another problem with using a torch (flashlight?) is that the radiance (the angular spread of light emission) is significantly different than a laser- without getting into details, oftentimes a laser is treated as a point source in a design, and since a filament (or filament + reflector) is not a point source, using a filament in a design optimized for a point source leads to a lot of aberrations.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Re: Light and prisms.....

Hi,

I see what you mean, I had this idea because I saw a straight beam of daylight projected on a wall through a wine glass, the wine glass had a decorative chamfer patten cut into its surface. I was wondering if this could replicated with a flashlight and prisms? If so what prisms would I need. Guess I need to experiment with different shapes of glass.

cheers

Clubturbo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?