Light & Shadows: Read in Shadow but Not the Dark?

• Thread starter TheSourceCode
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discussed the ability to read in a shadow but not in complete darkness. It was mentioned that this is due to the presence of ambient diffuse light, which allows for refracting and reflection of light around the reader's body. It was also noted that the color of the room's walls can affect the ease of reading in a shadow. An experiment was suggested to test this theory by comparing reading with a bright flashlight behind the reader in a dark room versus in a well-lit room. It was acknowledged that in a big city, it may be difficult to find a completely dark environment for this experiment.
TheSourceCode
I was reading the other day with the light on behind me. I cast a shadow over the book I was reading and was still able to read it (not that surprising). I'd never thought about this before though. Why is it you can read in a shadow but not the dark? I could understand if there was another light source but this was the only one.

Science news on Phys.org
hi
welcome to the forums :)

Why is it you can read in a shadow but not the dark?

well probably because there is still plenty of ambient diffuse light, bouncing off the room walls refracting around your body etc etc

Dark is the absence of light .. can't read like that ;)

cheers
Dave

So the larger the room the harder it would be to read?

yes
tho that would also depend on the colour of the walls etc dark paint/light paint etc

I was going to add to my first post but didnt... now will here...

try this experiment...

stand in a room with some one behind you with a decent bright torch (flashlight)
now go outside on a very dark nite, where there is no ambient streetlight, moonlight etc
now get you mate to shine the light from behind you again.
I bet its much harder to see the book let alone the text on the pages :)

I couldn't do that from my home, I live in a big city it never gets that dark

Dave

I can explain this phenomenon using the principles of light and shadow. When light from a single source, such as a lamp, shines on an object, it creates a shadow behind it. This shadow is formed because the object blocks the light from reaching that area. However, there is still some light that is diffused and scattered around the edges of the object, allowing us to see the shadow.

In the case of reading in a shadow, the same principle applies. The light from the lamp is blocked by the book, creating a shadow over the pages. However, there is still some light that is able to pass through the pages, making them visible to our eyes. This is why we are able to read in a shadow.

On the other hand, in complete darkness, there is no light source to create a shadow. Without any light, there is no way for our eyes to receive any visual information, making it impossible to read. Even a small amount of light is necessary for us to be able to see and read.

To summarize, the ability to read in a shadow is due to the presence of a light source that creates both light and shadow. In the absence of any light, such as in complete darkness, reading becomes impossible. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of light and shadow in relation to reading.

1. What is the difference between light and shadow?

The main difference between light and shadow is that light is a form of energy that is produced by objects and travels in a straight line, while shadow is an area where light is blocked by an object.

2. How does light create shadows?

Light creates shadows by traveling in a straight line until it hits an object. The object then blocks the light from passing through, creating a shadow on the opposite side of the object.

3. Can shadows exist without light?

No, shadows cannot exist without light. Light is necessary for shadows to be created, as it is the source of the shadow's darkness.

4. What is the difference between a shadow and a silhouette?

A shadow is created when an object blocks light, while a silhouette is created when the object is backlit and the light shines through it to create a dark outline.

5. How do shadows change throughout the day?

Shadows change throughout the day as the position of the sun changes. Shadows are longest in the morning and evening when the sun is lower in the sky and are shortest at noon when the sun is directly overhead.