Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light and time travel

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    1.Light is moving so fast that is apparently stopped.But it ain't.Photons of light come and go.
    Now the question: Is light seeing us stopped?Like we arent moving?

Thats a dumb question.Of course the light sees us stopped.If i ride a photon of light from Sun to Earth everything is stopped.8 minutes.In minute 3 she reads and in minute 7 she drinks coffee.
    To continue my journey.I can zoom and see her when i ride my photon of light,my beam of light.In minute 3 i zoom and see her read but i cant see her move.Perfectly fine.
    In minute 7 i zoom again and see her drink but i cant see her move.
    What if i zoom and keep looking at what she is doing?If the time has stopped...how will she move from reading to drinking?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2
    Sorry, you cannot travel at the speed of light. There is no such thing as "riding a photon." The speed of light is c in all reference frames. There is no reference frame in which a photon is at rest.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3
    Hypothetical.
    The same question that Einstein asked.
    What will you see if you ride a beam of light?
    So?It has been answered until now or not?

And one more question.Time travel.Is just a theory or a fact? (based on light speed)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook