Unraveling the Mysteries of Light, Time, and Dimensions

In summary: I agree that time is integrated part of different dynamical systems in abstract models invented by humans. Time is closely related with the origins and development of the Universe. They say the Universe was formed after big bang. Was this the reference point of time? Could time exist independantly of the Universe or they are inseperable?I agree that time is integrated part of different dynamical systems in abstract models invented by humans. Time is closely related with the origins and development of the Universe. They say the Universe was formed after big bang. Was this the reference point of time? Could time exist independantly of the Universe or they are inseperable?
Osirus1156
I have a question for you, well actually two.
If we measure speed using light, then would light not only be a wave/particle but time as well? Now supposing that above question was right would time be the fourth dimension then, which is time if I can remember correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time and Light

Osirus1156 said:
I have a question for you, well actually two.
If we measure speed using light, then would light not only be a wave/particle but time as well? Now supposing that above question was right would time be the fourth dimension then, which is time if I can remember correctly?

No one knows what time really is. The nature of time is a mystery, but I like your idea that light could be time. The fact that we use light to measure time does not mean it has to be time. We also use the rotation of the Earth to measure time, but that doesn't mean the rotation of the Earth IS time.
I don't know how you concluded that time is the fourth dimension from your proposition that light is time.

Why have you decided that time exists? Perhaps, it is nothing but another human illusion.

professays said:
Why have you decided that time exists? Perhaps, it is nothing but another human illusion.

If you want to pursue this line of discussion, please do so in the Philosophy forum, which already has an existing thread.

Otherwise, can you please describe how you would make a complete description of the dynamics of a system without invoking any aspect of "time"? Until you can do that, you will understand that the rest of physics considers the time dimension as a necessary component (as much as the spatial dimension) in describing any and all dynamical systems.

Zz.

I agree that time is integrated part of different dynamical systems in abstract models invented by humans. Time is closely related with the origins and development of the Universe. They say the Universe was formed after big bang. Was this the reference point of time? Could time exist independantly of the Universe or they are inseperable?

professays said:
I agree that time is integrated part of different dynamical systems in abstract models invented by humans. Time is closely related with the origins and development of the Universe. They say the Universe was formed after big bang. Was this the reference point of time? Could time exist independantly of the Universe or they are inseperable?

You are asking a bunch of esoteric (and frankly, highly speculative) questions that would probably be tolerated in Philosophy, but highly ambiguous in physics. I suggest you continue this in that forum within the existing thread.

The suggestion that time is an "illusion" should no longer be brought up here since you have stated your inability to describe a dynamical system without it.

Zz.

1. What is light and how does it travel through space?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can travel through space as both a wave and a particle. It is made up of tiny packets of energy called photons, which are emitted by atoms when their electrons move from a higher energy state to a lower one. These photons then travel through space at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second, also known as the speed of light.

2. How does time relate to the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed of an observer. The closer an object travels to the speed of light, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This phenomenon, known as time dilation, has been proven through experiments and has important implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe.

3. What is the concept of dimensions and how many are there?

Dimensions are used to describe the extent of an object or space in different directions. In physics, there are three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and one dimension of time. Some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the four we experience in our daily lives.

4. How do scientists study and measure these concepts?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study and measure light, time, and dimensions. These include telescopes, spectroscopy, particle accelerators, and mathematical equations. Experiments are also conducted to test and validate theories related to these concepts.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding light, time, and dimensions?

Understanding these concepts has led to numerous practical applications in technology and everyday life. For example, our knowledge of light has allowed us to develop technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels. Our understanding of time has led to the development of accurate clocks and GPS systems. And our understanding of dimensions has helped us build structures and create art in various dimensions, such as 2D and 3D.