Do Stars in Space Interact Through Wave-Cancellation?

In summary, it's unlikely that two stars would have the same frequency/waveform in a way such as to created destructive interference, and even if it happened it would be a VERY localized occurrence.
Tyler Wayne
I've been comparing light as particles and waves in outer space when it occurred to me, if you throw two rocks of equal weight into a pool side by side the waves created will cancel out. Do stars In space effect each other in this way?

Science news on Phys.org
Tyler Wayne said:
I've been comparing light as particles and waves in outer space when it occurred to me, if you throw two rocks of equal weight into a pool side by side the waves created will cancel out. Do stars In space effect each other in this way?

It would be HIGHLY unlikely that 2 stars would have the exact same frequency/waveform in a way such as to created destructive interference and even if it happened it would be a VERY localized occurrence (you'd have to be in exactly the right place in space to "see" it)

Ok, I understand, so basically it's possible but to small for it to matter right?

Tyler Wayne said:
Really?? :confused: You think that if you and I jump in the water together, our splashes will cancel? Not hardly!

In the first place, water waves are very much different from light waves. For one thing they are dispersive - different frequencies travel at different velocities. Ignoring that, at best two water waves of similar frequency could interfere, meaning that they tend to reinforce each other in certain directions and cancel out in others.

Well you might get that effect if stars emitted pure waves. like lasers do. But what they do emit instead is an incoherent jumble of frequencies and phases, which simply won't exhibit interference.

Light can be defined as having properties of both a wave and a particle but in it wave properties it does not act similar to an ocean wave. Ocean waves need a medium to travel through(water), on the other hand light needs no medium( that is how it travels through vacuums). That being said I don't think that the waves would cancel out seeing as the don't constrict to the same rules, but that is just my input I could be wrong

Tyler Wayne said:
if you throw two rocks of equal weight into a pool side by side the waves created will cancel out.
Not really.

interference_water_waves.jpg

right, I think this goes back to what phinds said. If you stand in the right place, they get canceled out, but in other places they are reinforced. anyway, this does not happen for light between two start because the light is not coherent (as others have said).

Ok, I understand now, I was mislead I thought 2 waves (in water) with equal wavelength and frequency would cancel out. Thank you all for your help!

1. What is wave-cancellation in space?

Wave-cancellation in space refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves traveling through space meet and interfere with each other, resulting in the cancellation of their energy and creating a region of zero or minimal disturbance. This can occur between different types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves or gravitational waves, and can have various effects depending on the properties of the waves and the distance between them.

2. How do stars interact through wave-cancellation?

Stars can interact through wave-cancellation when their respective waves, such as gravitational waves, overlap and interfere with each other. This can happen when stars are close enough to each other or when they are in a binary system. The resulting wave-cancellation can affect the orbits and movement of the stars, and can also provide valuable information about the stars' masses and distances.

3. Is wave-cancellation a common occurrence in space?

Yes, wave-cancellation is a common occurrence in space, as it is a natural consequence of the propagation of waves. It can happen between different types of waves, such as light waves, sound waves, and even the elusive gravitational waves. However, the effects of wave-cancellation may not always be detectable or significant, depending on the properties of the waves and the distance between them.

4. Can wave-cancellation between stars be observed from Earth?

Yes, wave-cancellation between stars can be observed from Earth, although it may require advanced technology and precise measurements. For example, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) has successfully detected gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes, which is a result of wave-cancellation between these massive objects in space.

5. What are the implications of wave-cancellation between stars?

The implications of wave-cancellation between stars can vary depending on the specific scenario. In some cases, it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of the stars, such as their masses and distances. In other cases, it can affect the orbits and movement of the stars, potentially leading to changes in the structure and dynamics of celestial objects. Additionally, the detection and study of wave-cancellation in space can also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe.