Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light at absolute Zero

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'd like to know how does electromagnetic radiation behave at absolute zero temparature ? pls let me know. Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    When people talk about the temperature of radiation they mean the temperature of the object that emitted the radiation. There is no meaning to radiation itself having a temp that I know of. Maxwell's equations do not involve temperature

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3
    Only objects have temperature - and it's nothing more than a measure of how much vibration energy they have. That's what heat is - just vibration.

If you had a universe full of objects at absolute zero (I think that's what you are describing) all of those objects would be sitting still, unmoving.

If you then shine a light into the universe (You'd have to do it from outside because none of these cold objects have any energy to emit light themselves), the energy of the light would be absorbed by any object it hit, warming it up slightly.

The light (or any other sort of EM radiation) would slowly be converted to a little bit of heat.

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4
    Even so, per what AJ said, if you merely shined a light through a region this cold, it would pass through unaffected. What didn't get converted to heat anyway.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook