1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light beam path

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In plane parallel plate the refractive index is a function of coordinate ##z##, so that ##n=n_0 -{n}'z^2## for ##{n}'>0##. The origin of the coordinate system is in the middle of the layer, and ##z## is parallel to the normal of the layer. In paraxial approximation calculate the path of a light beam.

2. Relevant equations
    If we use parametrization ##s##:

##\frac{d}{ds}(n(z)\frac{d\vec r}{ds})=\nabla n##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For ##z## coordinate: $$\frac{d}{ds}(n(z)\frac{d z}{ds})=\frac{dn}{dz}=-2{n}'z$$ $$\frac{d}{ds}([n_0-{n}'z^2]\frac{d z}{ds})=-2{n}'z$$ Now I hope I can use approximation that ##dz\sim dx## this would bring me to $$[n_0-{n}'z^2]\frac{d^2z}{dx^2}=-2{n}'z$$ and finally since ##z## is very small, than I can forget about ##z^2## term. $${z}''+\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}z=0$$ which brings me to my final solution $$z(x)=Asin(\sqrt{\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}}x)+Bcos(\sqrt{\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}}x)$$
    Or is this completely wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Reconsider this. Paraxial means that the ray always makes a small angle to the z-axis.

Note that this is a vector equation. So, you will need to think about its components.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Hmmm, ok firstly, let me apologize for a mistake in my first post. There should be ##ds\approx dx## and not ##dz\approx ds##.
    But you got me a bit confused now. I think you are trying to say that I should use approximation where ##ds\approx dz## but... this is in contrary with the problem. The problem says that the ray is only travelling close to the centre of the layer (where ##z## is very small). Or...?

The other two components only give me $$n(z)\frac{dx}{ds}=n(z)\sin\vartheta _x=C_x$$ and $$n(z)=\sin\vartheta _y=C_y.$$ Do they have any physical interpretation?

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I guess I misinterpreted the question. Since they only mention a z-axis, I assumed that paraxial meant that the ray is traveling approximately in the z-direction as it passes through the plate. So, yes, I was thinking ds ≅ dz.

[EDIT: I agree with your solution.]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted