Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate

In summary, the homework statement states that if we use parametrization, the equations for the path of a light beam in a plane parallel plate are given by:- the distance between the origin and the point where the ray is traveling is given by the Laplacian of the distance between the origin and the ray's coordinate- the second term is negative, meaning that the light will be reflected away from the layer in the direction of the normal- the third term is the reflected light's magnitude
skrat

Homework Statement

In plane parallel plate the refractive index is a function of coordinate ##z##, so that ##n=n_0 -{n}'z^2## for ##{n}'>0##. The origin of the coordinate system is in the middle of the layer, and ##z## is parallel to the normal of the layer. In paraxial approximation calculate the path of a light beam.

Homework Equations

If we use parametrization ##s##:

##\frac{d}{ds}(n(z)\frac{d\vec r}{ds})=\nabla n##

The Attempt at a Solution

For ##z## coordinate: $$\frac{d}{ds}(n(z)\frac{d z}{ds})=\frac{dn}{dz}=-2{n}'z$$ $$\frac{d}{ds}([n_0-{n}'z^2]\frac{d z}{ds})=-2{n}'z$$ Now I hope I can use approximation that ##dz\sim dx## this would bring me to $$[n_0-{n}'z^2]\frac{d^2z}{dx^2}=-2{n}'z$$ and finally since ##z## is very small, than I can forget about ##z^2## term. $${z}''+\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}z=0$$ which brings me to my final solution $$z(x)=Asin(\sqrt{\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}}x)+Bcos(\sqrt{\frac{2{n}'}{n_0}}x)$$
Or is this completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
Now I hope I can use approximation that ##dz\sim dx##
Reconsider this. Paraxial means that the ray always makes a small angle to the z-axis.

Homework Equations

If we use parametrization ##s##:

##\frac{d}{ds}(n(z)\frac{d\vec r}{ds})=\nabla n##

Note that this is a vector equation. So, you will need to think about its components.

Hmmm, ok firstly, let me apologize for a mistake in my first post. There should be ##ds\approx dx## and not ##dz\approx ds##.
But you got me a bit confused now. I think you are trying to say that I should use approximation where ##ds\approx dz## but... this is in contrary with the problem. The problem says that the ray is only traveling close to the centre of the layer (where ##z## is very small). Or...?

The other two components only give me $$n(z)\frac{dx}{ds}=n(z)\sin\vartheta _x=C_x$$ and $$n(z)=\sin\vartheta _y=C_y.$$ Do they have any physical interpretation?

OK, I guess I misinterpreted the question. Since they only mention a z-axis, I assumed that paraxial meant that the ray is traveling approximately in the z-direction as it passes through the plate. So, yes, I was thinking ds ≅ dz.

[EDIT: I agree with your solution.]

Last edited:
Likes skrat

1. What is the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate?

The Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate refers to the trajectory that a light beam takes when passing through a parallel plate. It is a straight path that is perpendicular to the surface of the plates.

2. How does the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate differ from other materials?

The Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate is unique because the plates are parallel, which causes the light beam to bend as it passes through. This bending is known as refraction and is influenced by the material and thickness of the plates.

3. What factors affect the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate?

The factors that affect the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate include the angle of incidence, the index of refraction of the plates, and the thickness of the plates. These factors determine the amount of refraction that occurs and the final trajectory of the light beam.

4. How can the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate be calculated?

The Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate can be calculated using Snell's Law, which relates the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction to the indices of refraction of the two materials. The thickness of the plates can also be taken into account to determine the final path of the light beam.

5. What applications does the Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate have in science and technology?

The Path of Light Beam in Plane Parallel Plate has various applications in science and technology, including in optics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. By understanding the path of light through parallel plates, we can manipulate and control the direction and intensity of light for various purposes.