Light Behavior in Black Holes: Exploring Curved Space-Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of light in a black hole and how it becomes red shifted and stretched as it approaches the event horizon. It is also mentioned that the energy of the light decreases and it cannot escape the black hole. There is some confusion about the exact nature of the red shift, but it is agreed that it is due to the inability of light to escape from a black hole.
Giuliano97
Good morning everyone, I'm Giuliano and I would like to know how light behaves in a black hole and because it can not get out.
More precisely, i understand that light moves in curved space-time format from the black hole, but once passed within swarzchild radius the photon is expected to impact the superdense mass of the black hole , or can not get out because it does not have enough energy to climb the spacetime curvature and ends up to " stretch " within he has no more energy.
sorry for my ignorance and for my english and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a light beam goes into a black hole it can never go out.What happens to it.The photon energy increases the mass of black hole.Every energy fallen into blak hole makes it heavier.

Giuliano97 said:
i understand that light moves in curved space-time format from the black hole
yes
but once passed within swarzchild radius the photon is expected to impact the superdense mass of the black hole
yes
, or can not get out because it does not have enough energy to climb the spacetime curvature
yes
and ends up to " stretch " within he has no more energy.
Don't understand what you mean here.

@phinds
i mean that its wavelength would be lengthened

Giuliano97 said:
@phinds
Giuliano97 said:
@phinds
OK, but what's with the "no more energy" ?

As a beam of light approaches a black hole, it becomes blue shifted from the point of view of someone closer to the black hole and I suppose that process continues past the event horizon, but I don't see the energy going to zero.

@phinds
thank you for your answer,
As i know photons becomes blue shifted when they enter in the black hole and a red shift when they try to escape from it .
A photon that was born exactly on the horizon of events , directed towards the outside of the black hole , would suffer an infinite red shift so its wavelength would be lengthened to infinite (his energy would become zero ) .
Sorry for my english again..

@Nugatory
I agree, but although we can not see the actual redshift of light , we can still take the redshift and the stretching of the wavelength as due to lack of leakage of light from a black hole ?

1. What is the concept of curved space-time in relation to black holes?

Curved space-time is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It explains that the presence of massive objects, such as a black hole, can cause space and time to be distorted and curved. This curvature affects the behavior of light, causing it to follow a curved path around the black hole.

2. How does light behave in the strong gravitational field of a black hole?

In the strong gravitational field of a black hole, light follows a curved path due to the curvature of space-time. This means that the light can be bent, distorted, or even trapped by the intense gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. Can light escape from a black hole?

No, light cannot escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon, which is the point of no return. This is because the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that it traps the light and prevents it from escaping.

4. How does the behavior of light help us understand the properties of black holes?

The behavior of light, such as its bending and trapping, can provide valuable information about the properties of black holes. By studying the path of light around a black hole, scientists can determine its mass, spin, and even the presence of other objects orbiting it.

5. What are some current methods for studying the behavior of light in black holes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the behavior of light in black holes, such as gravitational lensing, where the light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational pull of a black hole, and X-ray observations, which can detect the radiation emitted by material falling into a black hole.