Light being intercepted by dust

• Thread starter Zaphodx57x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust Light
In summary, the density of the gas, along with the cross-sectional area of the dust grain, can be used to calculate the percentage of light intercepted by the gas. To calculate the thickness of the layer required to block 1/e of the rays, we can use the same formula, but with the percentage of light blocked set to 1/e.
Zaphodx57x
There exists one dust grain of radius 0.1 micrometer per every 10^12 hydrogen atoms. Show that as light travels through a 1 cm layer of this comrpessed gas, only about 1% will be intercepted.

Then show how thick a layer would be needed to block 1/e of the rays.

I believe the density of the gas is about 2.7 x 10^19 atoms cm^-3

Initially I thought that I should have used mean free path to solve this problem, but it was done with integrals. I'm assuming that this is an expected value problem, but I really have no idea how to set up the integrals. I believe that my variable must be the thickness of the gas however. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:

To calculate the percentage of light intercepted by the gas, we need to consider the cross-sectional area of the dust grain relative to the total cross-sectional area of the gas. The effective area of a single dust grain is πr2 = 0.0031 m2. The total cross-sectional area of the 1 cm layer of gas is 2.7 x 10^17 m2.

Therefore, the percentage of light intercepted by the gas is (0.0031 m2/ 2.7 x 10^17 m2) x 100 = 0.0000011, or about 0.01%.

To calculate the thickness of the layer required to block 1/e of the rays, we can use the same formula as above, but with the percentage of light blocked set to 1/e.

The percentage of light blocked is (0.0031 m2/ 2.7 x 10^17 m2) x 100 = 0.3678794, or about 36.8%.

Therefore, the thickness of the layer required to block 1/e of the rays is (2.7 x 10^17 m2 x 0.368) / 0.0031 m2 = 3.7 x 10^18 m2 = 37 cm.

1. How does dust intercept light?

When light travels through space, it may encounter dust particles that are scattered throughout the universe. These dust particles have the ability to absorb and reflect light, thus intercepting its path.

2. What happens to light when it is intercepted by dust?

When light is intercepted by dust, it can either be absorbed or scattered in a different direction. This can result in a decrease in the intensity of the light or a change in its color.

3. Can dust completely block light?

Yes, depending on the density and thickness of the dust, it is possible for it to completely block the path of light. This is often seen in cases of dense interstellar dust clouds blocking light from distant stars.

4. How does dust affect our ability to observe distant objects in space?

Dust can significantly affect our ability to observe distant objects in space. It can absorb or scatter the light coming from these objects, making them appear fainter or distorted. This is why astronomers often use special techniques and instruments to compensate for the effects of dust.

5. How do scientists study the effects of dust on light?

Scientists use a combination of observations and computer simulations to study the effects of dust on light. They may observe how different wavelengths of light are affected by dust in various environments, and use computer models to simulate the interactions between light and dust particles.