Light Reflection: 2 Mirrors 10ft Apart - 98M Reflections/sec?

In summary, if two mirrors are placed facing each other 10 feet apart and all light is reflected, it is estimated that the light would pass back and forth approximately 98,208,000 times in 1 second. However, some factors such as the speed of light in the mirror glass and air may affect this calculation.
crashoran
If you placed two mirrors facing each other exactly 10 feet apart (assuming 100% of the light is reflected), I figure light would pass back and forth between the mirrors ~98,208,000 times in 1 second. Or would it be half of that because the distance for two reflections traveled would actually be 20 feet? This one is hurting my brain..

Apologies for the randomness of this question but it came to me last night and has been bugging me since.

Science news on Phys.org
98 mil 1 way, 49 mil 2 ways.

Is this in a vacuum ?
Either way, the speed of light in the mirror glass is 0.66c, the speed of light in air is 0.9997c.
Recalculate !

1. What is "Light Reflection: 2 Mirrors 10ft Apart - 98M Reflections/sec"?

"Light Reflection: 2 Mirrors 10ft Apart - 98M Reflections/sec" is a scientific experiment that involves two mirrors placed 10 feet apart and measuring the amount of light reflections that occur per second, which is approximately 98 million reflections per second.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior of light when it is reflected between two mirrors. By measuring the number of reflections per second, we can better understand the speed and frequency of light.

3. What factors can affect the number of reflections per second in this experiment?

The number of reflections per second can be affected by the distance between the mirrors, the angle at which the light enters the mirrors, and the quality and reflectivity of the mirrors themselves.

4. How does this experiment relate to real-world applications?

Understanding light reflection is crucial in many real-world applications, such as optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It also plays a role in everyday objects, such as mirrors, glasses, and cameras.

5. What are the potential implications of this experiment?

This experiment can provide insight into the fundamental properties of light and its behavior. It could also lead to advancements in technology and further research in the field of optics.