1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Light Bulb Brightness

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A light bulbs brightness can be measured by its power consumption. This in turn will depend on the I, V and R of the light bulb. The light bulb is rated at a power consumption of 1.0W when placed at a voltage of 6.0V. We change the battery from a 6.0V to a 3.0V one. Will the light bulb shine brighter than the previous case. What will be the current through the light bulb

2. Relevant equations

P=IV

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the power consumption 1.0W for both cases
    If it is then I1=1/6 and I2 =1/3 Therefore the latter example will shine brighter

If not how do i take into account the changing power

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2
    It says that the power consumption is of 1 W whan placed at 6 V, not all the time. You might want to calculate, say, resistance of the light bulb (P=IU=U^2/R), what should then allow you to calculate the power consumption of the same bulb placed at 3V.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    You could also notice that
    [tex]p \alpha V^2[/tex]
    so decreasing [tex]V[/tex] by [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] decreases p by [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

or you could multiply out the old [tex]V^2[/tex] and multiply the new one in:
    [tex]p_{3V} = p_{6V}\frac{3^2}{6^2}=p_{6V}\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook