Exploring the Continuous Spectrum of Ordinary Light Bulbs

In summary, the spectrum of an ordinary light bulb is continuous because it is emitted from a heated wire, which acts like a black body. This is reconcilable with quantum mechanics because the wire's temperature creates a specific continuous radiation. However, this is different from the emission spectrum of a sodium gas, which is only a tiny yellow spectrum. The energy transitions referred to in thermodynamics are from the heated wire's temperature, but it is unclear where this energy comes from. The crash of atoms with high speeds causing electrons to jump to higher levels should also result in discrete transitions, but this is not the case.
Gavroy
hi

i was wondering why the spectrum of an ordinary light bulb is continuous. i know that "i think it's thermodynamics" says that some temperature creates a specific continuous radiation, but how is this reconcilable with quantum mechanics and e.g. a sodium gas, that emits only a tiny yellow spectrum? and to which energy transitions does thermodynamics here refer to? where does this energy come from? i mean, if it is the crash of atoms that have such a high speed that electrons jump to higher levels, then this should be discrete transitions too, or where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ordinary light bulbs give off light from a heated wire, which acts like a black body.

1. What is the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs?

The continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs refers to the range of colors and wavelengths of light that are emitted from the bulb. Unlike other light sources such as lasers, which emit light at a specific wavelength, ordinary light bulbs emit light at a continuous range of wavelengths, resulting in a continuous spectrum of colors.

2. How is the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs produced?

The continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs is produced through a process called incandescence. This is when an electric current passes through a thin filament inside the bulb, causing it to heat up and emit light. The filament emits light at a continuous range of wavelengths, resulting in a continuous spectrum.

3. What factors can affect the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs?

Several factors can affect the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs, including the material of the filament, the temperature at which it operates, and the amount of energy supplied to the bulb. These factors can influence the color and intensity of the light emitted by the bulb.

4. How is the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs useful in everyday life?

The continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs is useful in everyday life because it allows us to see a wide range of colors and perceive depth and contrast. It also allows us to distinguish different objects and navigate our surroundings. Additionally, the continuous spectrum of light is used in various industries, such as photography and filmmaking, to capture and reproduce accurate colors.

5. Can the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs be altered?

Yes, the continuous spectrum of ordinary light bulbs can be altered by changing the material of the filament or adjusting the temperature at which it operates. This can result in a different distribution of colors and wavelengths emitted by the bulb, leading to a different overall spectrum.