1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light emission from a hole in a cavity

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sethna 7.7

Assume that the hole of area A is is on the upper part of the cavity, perpendicular to the z axis. The vertical component of the velocity of each photon is therefore vz= c cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the photon velocity and the vertical. The photon distribution just inside the boundary of the hole is depleted of photons with v < 0 (very few photons come into the hole from the outside), but it is almost unaffected by the presence of the hole for photons with v > 0. The Planck distribution is isotropic, so the probability that a photon will be moving at an angle θ (and therefore velocity v) is the perimeter of the θ circle on the sphere divided by the area of the sphere, 2∏ sin θ dθ/ 4∏=1/2 sin θ dθ. Show that the probability density for a particular photon to have velocity v is independent of v in the range (-c,c), and thus is 1/2 c.

b) An upper bound on the energy emitted from a hold of area A is given by the energy in the box as a whole times the fraction A c dt/v of the volume within c dt of the hole. Show that the actual energy emitted is 1/4 of this upper bound. Hint: You will need to integrate [itex]\int p(v) v dv[/itex] from 0 to c.

2. Relevant equations

probablity density p(v)= annular shell/shell volume - which I thought would be 1/2 sin θ dθ

3. The attempt at a solution

Not much - I couldn't figure out part a at all, so I just plugged the answer of 1/2 c into the integral of part b, and changing the limits of integration to radians (0 to ∏ /2) I'm still confused - 1/2 c^3 [itex]\int[/itex] cos θ *sin θ dθ = 1/4 c^3 (sin θ)^2 = 1/4 (c^3).

Any ideas or tips?

Opaka

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?